The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Breeding help

This is a discussion on Breeding help within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I'm having a really hard time with my two babies, I've been raising my first since she was only three ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th February 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: bunny18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Breeding help

I'm having a really hard time with my two babies, I've been raising my first since she was only three weeks old. She's almost two now and around the time she was 18 months I got her a tank mate. I was positive she was male so I got a male. Turns out I was wrong, and ended up with eggs. The first batch I culled and five weeks later she laid another batch. I don't want to separate them, but I don't have the heart to keep culling eggs every month or so. They're so cute together is there anything else I can do besides dividing the tank?

(I'm worried about selling the eggs, I want the best for them and I can't guarantee that when I send them to someone I don't know)

bunny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2016   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Breeding help

I'm afraid that separation is the only way you'll stop them breeding.

Old 14th February 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Creepella is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiejude View Post
I'm afraid that separation is the only way you'll stop them breeding.
Yup. I was scouring the tank for spermatophores every day and removing them with a turkey baster, but I'm guessing my females found them before I did, because I'm raising a tank full of larvae now.

As soon as I can get another tank that's big enough (10 gal?), I'm moving my male to it and leaving the girls in the bigger tank.

Creepella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: onecrazyredhead is an unknown quantity at this point

Let them get it on! Plenty of people who would pay you for overnight shipping for eggs and I sure someone can tell you the best way to ship the eggs also.

onecrazyredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2016   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: LSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and information

I've read that too-frequent breeding is bad for the mother's health, and I believe it. So even if one wants to have eggs to sell, it is still best to separate the sexes.

LSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl advice, breeding, culling, egg help, eggs, ethics, pregnancy, selling

LinkBack