The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

URGENT! Spermatophores?!?! Eggs?!?!?

This is a discussion on URGENT! Spermatophores?!?! Eggs?!?!? within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I think I found spermatophores or eggs in my tank today during the water change. AAARRGHHH It was a thick, ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th August 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: LippyNix has given good advice and informationLippyNix has given good advice and information
Exclamation URGENT! Spermatophores?!?! Eggs?!?!?

I think I found spermatophores or eggs in my tank today during the water change. AAARRGHHH It was a thick, whitish, gelatinous-looking string, and at the end of the string, there was a clump of more clear-looking things with white dots on them. It was just laying on the bottom, not attached to anything. I vacuumed it up, but I need to know if males and/or females will release spermatophores/eggs ONLY if there is a mating pair, or regardless of what sex the other axie is. I THOUGHT I had 2 females, but they aren't completely sexually mature yet, so now I'm worrying I need to separate these guys before I have an accidental brother-sister breeding!

Old 16th August 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: LippyNix has given good advice and informationLippyNix has given good advice and information
Default Re: URGENT! Spermatophores?!?! Eggs?!?!?

UPDATE: I cannot figure out how to edit this post, even though I've edited in the past! LOL

OK, I've looked at tons of pics online, and now I'm almost positive what I saw were a small clutch of eggs.
I'm basing this on the assumption that fertilized eggs have the black spot and unfertilized ones are just white.
So will females lay eggs without the presence of a male??

Old 16th August 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

It is very unlikely that a female will lay eggs with out the presence of a male. So, on the basis of that, i would say one is a male.

If you add some photo's, side and over head shots, we'll most likely tell you which is which.

P.S Looking at your previous posts, I would say the dark eyed beauty is female and the light eyed one is the male. This is based on the body shape. The females tend to have a more rounded shape than the mle.

Last edited by bellabelloo; 16th August 2017 at 09:53. Reason: Had a look at other posts.
bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Toothless (leucistic) is not as cooperative when it comes to photos. Albie is much more interested in being a model. hahahaha

I had guessed they were both females as their cloacas are small, and nothing like the males I've looked at. Their bodies are almost exactly the same size and shape, with Albie being slightly larger, (even though Toothless has the bigger appetite).
Attached Thumbnails
URGENT! Spermatophores?!?! Eggs?!?!?-20170816_180952.jpg   URGENT! Spermatophores?!?! Eggs?!?!?-20170816_181058.jpg   URGENT! Spermatophores?!?! Eggs?!?!?-20170816_181154.jpg   URGENT! Spermatophores?!?! Eggs?!?!?-20170816_181358.jpg   URGENT! Spermatophores?!?! Eggs?!?!?-20170816_181339.jpg  

URGENT! Spermatophores?!?! Eggs?!?!?-20170816_181314.jpg  

LinkBack