The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Maturity? Colour type? What am I?

This is a discussion on Maturity? Colour type? What am I? within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; The Lotls are almost 11 weeks old now. They all have back feet and legs. They range in size from ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th September 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: IHeartCapnHook is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Maturity? Colour type? What am I?

The Lotls are almost 11 weeks old now. They all have back feet and legs. They range in size from 2.5" to 3" now.
Their dad is a melanoid and mom is white albino. That is all I know of the genetics.

When can you tell what their "true" colour will be? The past 10 weeks have seemed to be a daily colour change.

When can you tell what their sex will be? I read they reach sexual maturity at around 6 months, but can you tell sooner than that?

When I got them at about 1 week old, I got a baker's dozen so I would be able to grow them out and pick the cutest and friendliest ones. Most of the hatchlings were leucistics and wild types. My bakers dozen ended up with the 3 wild type being obvious. They are greenish. The 2 albino are very gold and one has more reddish gills than the other. They both have sparkling iridophores in body and going up their gills. The leucistics are ranging in freckling and I think I ended up with 1 that doesn't have freckles.
Then there is the odd-axolotl
I did a quick shiny-eye ring test and got no ring. So it would be melanoid? But it is so light in colour and not black? Any thoughts on what this one is?
Attached Thumbnails
Maturity? Colour type? What am I?-albino-looking.jpg   Maturity? Colour type? What am I?-albino-length.jpg   Maturity? Colour type? What am I?-wild-peeping-tom.jpg   Maturity? Colour type? What am I?-mel-looking.jpg   Maturity? Colour type? What am I?-mel-length.jpg  

Maturity? Colour type? What am I?-mel-profile-head.jpg   Maturity? Colour type? What am I?-mel-face.jpg   Maturity? Colour type? What am I?-mel-back.jpg  

IHeartCapnHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: IHeartCapnHook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Maturity? Colour type? What am I?

I was able to get better pics right now :) And a cute albino face :)
Attached Thumbnails
Maturity? Colour type? What am I?-melly.jpg   Maturity? Colour type? What am I?-mel-profile.jpg   Maturity? Colour type? What am I?-sunny-face.jpg  

IHeartCapnHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

Maybe it could be a melanoid ?

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: gocrow77 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree; could be a melanoid. :) Congrats they all look happy and healthy!

gocrow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Jessdino is an unknown quantity at this point

Could definitely be a melanoid. Fun fact! Melanoid axies can actually change colors. Lighter substrate or tanks on light surfaces can cause them to be a gray color. But dark substrate or dark surfaces will cause them to darken up. I had my melanoid on white sand when I got him and he was a lighter shade. Once I switched to black sand he went jet black and half the time I canít see little toothless in his tank. Heís hiding! But that could explain the lighter gray tone.

Jessdino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 0
Rep: Biev has shown reliable knowledge

I would think the first one is a leucistic golden albino, or whatever you call an axie with both aa and dd genes. Iridophores are on the gill stalks.

Biev is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack