The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Breeding Traps/Nets-good or bad idea?

This is a discussion on Breeding Traps/Nets-good or bad idea? within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello, I am raising larvae from eggs for the first time (Hatching any day now!) and was thinking of purchasing ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st October 2007   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 1
Rep: Genome42 has given consistently good advice and informationGenome42 has given consistently good advice and informationGenome42 has given consistently good advice and informationGenome42 has given consistently good advice and information
Default Breeding Traps/Nets-good or bad idea?

Hello,
I am raising larvae from eggs for the first time (Hatching any day now!) and was thinking of purchasing some breeding nets to seperate them to minimise any canabilism and allow me to aerate/filter the whole tank. Just wanted to see if anyone had any good or bad experiences with this method and if there would be any reason that this would be detrimental to my new babies!
Thanks!

Genome42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

As housing, it should work. The only difficulty may be keeping the micro-food in the net. It will just go out of reach. Will the nets be in the adults' tank, or in a separate tank?

Old 22nd October 2007   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 16
Comments: 12
Rep: digger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.org

i have tried this and would only reccommend it for a handful of larvae and only for a short time.
the reasons being the larvae tend to hide under the framework where all the gunk migrates, and secondly they are harder to monitor for food.
the more you pop in the net the more likely you will be to have losses, i had two nets on the go in my adult tank with about 15 larvae in each and as for ever trying to locate them.
the waste doesnt pass through the net either it just collects under the frame and you then have the risk of squashing the larvae trying to clean it.

digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Genome42 has given consistently good advice and informationGenome42 has given consistently good advice and informationGenome42 has given consistently good advice and informationGenome42 has given consistently good advice and information

The first one hatched this morning! I haven't had axolotls before so im throwing myself in at the deep end! I think i will stick with small containers then and just change the water everyday.
Thanks for your help!

Old 22nd October 2007   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 16
Comments: 12
Rep: digger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.org

i think that might be best.
good luck with the new arrivals.

digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 3
Rep: niajetze has shown reliable knowledge

do not use a net in the same tank as the adults as they will still be able to kill the babie through the netting you will end up wit dead babies and not even a well fed axy to show for it. i would suggest a plast breeder as they often have partitions so you can keep more separate and if you put a stocking (tights) at the bottom it alolows water throw and keeps food and axies in (also helps with cleaning out). Hope this helps

niajetze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

I kept my eggs in shallow water filled trays , maybe an inch deep. once the eggs started hatching I did complete daily water changes...usually I used the turkey baster to suck out the water!! . I also moved the egg casings at that point, but they do stick together. I also noticed with regards to the egg casings that any live food would be stuck to it..I suspect this is natures way of making sure the new larvae can get their meal.

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007   #8 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 33
Comments: 7
Rep: Daniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I know some people who were successful in raising larvae in a way like this - I personally prefer using small bowls like margarine boxings.
I also saw some pictures where adults were able to jump into the net (where the nets were placed in their tanks), eating all the larvae so I would not give it a try...

Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Thumbs up

i don't have an adults as these are my first axolotls. I have a small tank which i had the eggs in but i have recently got a large tank suitable for the two i plan on keeping when they get larger and i can send the others off to good homes. but i think i am going to stick with the containers and daily water changes instead.
Thanks

(P.S. now on two babies....think there will be more in the morning!)

Old 23rd October 2007   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

As you have two tanks, I would recommend having both of them set up, in case you suddenly need another place to put some of the larvae. Live plants are very helpful in getting a new tank going.

Tags
bad, breeding, idea, traps or netsgood

LinkBack