The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

yay, a big clutch

This is a discussion on yay, a big clutch within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; i took a great shot of the mom LAYING these last night, but i deleted it by mistake. And i ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th February 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: featherbutt has given good advice and informationfeatherbutt has given good advice and information
Default yay, a big clutch

i took a great shot of the mom LAYING these last night, but i deleted it by mistake.
And i was all stoked about it.

basically they are floating around in a perforated deli container. works wonders for hatching.
lost almost ALL my last bunch with a guppy rearing thing from wallyworld. :)
Attached Thumbnails
yay, a big clutch-img_3193.jpg  

featherbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Those eggs are a bit too densely placed if you plan to keep them in there until they hatch. The ones at the bottom will almost definitely not get enough oxygen. It's better to spread the eggs out in a big container like a plastic tub, or several depending on how many you want to raise.

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: featherbutt has given good advice and informationfeatherbutt has given good advice and information

hows this look? i figure ill keep them in here and change the water every couple days until hatching, then as they hatch, move them to the perforated deli cups in the big tank until the weather warms up and i can pop them in some outdoor pools.

see, my tank is full of daphnea, and they can get in the deli cups but not out.

it makes for a cheap and easy starter food.

I just bought a house so I'm gonna start a greenwater tank once i take possession.
In the mean time i just have to keep these guys going. figure they will all be hatched in 20 days.

when i move i figured a basin with lakewater and lakesand, filtered with a filter with some colonized biomatrix and the sponge that sits in my axie tank SHOULD speed up the cycling

that will give my time to construct the outdoor water feature I'm planning on.

if that fails i know a guy with a well cycled and planted, but otherwise empty basin.
Attached Thumbnails
yay, a big clutch-img_3207.jpg  

Old 7th March 2008   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: shantsdude has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately

what are your plans once they hatch?

Old 8th March 2008   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

going to start them on daphnea, then move to microworms and vinegar worms.
then bloodworms and so on.
ive got a big cycled 35 gal and many perforated delicups i can submerge into it,

any extra babies are going into an outdoor water garden to develop naturally

I've done this with A. maculatum before and it works fine. Ill just gather up the juvies in the summer after i have my outdoor basin constructed and voila,
if it doesn't work out thats just the way it is.

i hope to peddle a few off to some canadian interests over the net because i know they are hard to get.

and theres a few decent exotic purveyors that might be interested.

really what i want is a few nice specimens for my own collection, still gotta find a source for leucistics and albinos.

Old 8th March 2008   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: shantsdude has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately
Thumbs up

oh ok, Best of Luck!

Old 8th March 2008   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbutt View Post

see, my tank is full of daphnea, and they can get in the deli cups but not out.
How can they get in and not out?

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

the perforations are needle-size or smaller, and they go inward, so they CAN get out,
but its like a minnow trap, they go against the funnel,
They probably get out all the time, but the point is, they go in far more often, and the high concentration of daphnea and cyclops inside is easy to see.

Tags
big, clutch, yay

LinkBack