The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Breeding suggestions?

This is a discussion on Breeding suggestions? within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello, I own 2 Axolotls and I'm wonder if anyone has any suggestions about encourging breeding?...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th March 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 10
Rep: IanF has given consistently good advice and informationIanF has given consistently good advice and informationIanF has given consistently good advice and informationIanF has given consistently good advice and information
Question Breeding suggestions?

Hello, I own 2 Axolotls and I'm wonder if anyone has any suggestions about encourging breeding?
Attached Thumbnails
Breeding suggestions?-axolotls-005.jpg  

Old 12th March 2008   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 18
Comments: 8
Rep: ben_tajer has shown reliable knowledge

Generally, keep them in the dark for a couple of weeks, and ideally let the temperature fall. The return them to room temperature. Provide them with plenty of plants, live or fake, to lay eggs on. Just looking at your picture, I can't tell whether your axolotls are old enough or the right genders. How long are they?

ben_tajer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: IanF has given consistently good advice and informationIanF has given consistently good advice and informationIanF has given consistently good advice and informationIanF has given consistently good advice and information

They're both around 7 inches, the wild type is male, and the white one is female, they're both around 8 months as far as I know, thanks for the advice.

Old 12th March 2008   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

They're a bit young to breed yet, wait till they're about a foot. They would be old enough to sex them.

Old 12th March 2008   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Ok, thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Old 12th March 2008   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_tajer View Post
They're a bit young to breed yet, wait till they're about a foot. They would be old enough to sex them.
You don't need to wait until an axolotl is 'about a foot' to breed them. If they're over 18 months and have been well cared for, then they're usually ready by that time. At least let them get over 8 inches before you try to get them to breed. If they're always together, they might breed before that, which isn't good for the female.

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I was just erring on the side of caution.

Old 13th March 2008   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: featherbutt has given good advice and informationfeatherbutt has given good advice and information

i think just keeping them together in good conditions will have them breeding quite soon.

This is said to be stressful on the female.

but it wont stop her..... just take good care of her.

featherbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008   #9 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbutt View Post
i think just keeping them together in good conditions will have them breeding quite soon.

This is said to be stressful on the female.

but it wont stop her..... just take good care of her.
Mitch, breeding her this young isn't just 'said to be stressful' it IS very stressful, and can have long term side effects.

Old 13th March 2008   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

Ok, I haven't any plans to 'force' them to breed, at the moment I'm seeing if they'll get on in the tank together but making sure there's room for changes if they don't... so far its working fine.

IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008   #11 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

My suggestions for breeding are to not do it. If you DO breed them, only raise a few offspring. They're expensive to raise, and incredibly hard to rehome. After 3 months, I've finally gotten rid of the 60 I raised, after sinking a fair amount of money into them.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:

Yes, I've got a fair number of Local Aquariams that I'm quite confident would take quite a few. But I'm just intrested in trying to raise one or two myself for experience. I appreciate the warning.

Old 13th March 2008   #13 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Ian,
You should probably not keep the pair together for another 6 months or so. If you let them reproduce too early, it will stunt the female's growth, and most likely result in smaller, weaker larvae.

Old 13th March 2008   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:

At the moment I am looking for a suitable divider (already have 3 tanks, no room for more) and I wasn't planning on more than a month but with school there hasn't been much time to look for one. But I was unaware this could stunt growth, geuss you learn something every day.

Old 13th March 2008   #15 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

It won't stunt the grown entirely, but it will make her rate of growth slow way down (even with heavy feedings afterwards). It's like if people started normally having children at the age of 10-12 years.

Old 13th March 2008   #16 (permalink)

Nationality:

Ok, thanks for the information, I'll go out this weekend and find a divider.

Old 15th March 2008   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:

I've found out something intresting (well to me at least). The Leuistic is actually 14 months old (the owner had her for about a year) and the wild type is 10 months old. So they are slightly older than I first presumed.

IanF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, suggestions

LinkBack