The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Frozen food for babies

This is a discussion on Frozen food for babies within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi Guys! Well, my unexpected axie babies hatched about two weeks ago, and, like many Aussies it seems, I was ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th September 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: el301 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Frozen food for babies

Hi Guys!

Well, my unexpected axie babies hatched about two weeks ago, and, like many Aussies it seems, I was having problems sourcing food for them. My local aquarium shop owner is pretty knowledgable, and he said that he'd raised his axie babies on frozen cubes of baby brine shrimp. I was skeptical, as I've read a lot of threads saying how difficult this was, but I decided to try anyway.

It appears to work! I give them a cube in the morning and the evening, and hold it just under the surface of the water. It defrosts reasonably quickly, and you can see the little specks floating downwards. I move the cube all round the tank, and try to concentrate on where the axies are most abundant. You can see them either eating it "mid air" as it floats downwards, or they nose amongst the tank floor and eat them from there.

I guess it must be working, as I've done this since they hatched. They're now over two weeks old, and I've only had one casualty out of the 50 or so we decided to keep.

Just letting you all know in case there's anyone panicing about food!
el301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Kellybishop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Frozen food for babies

Thanks for that my babies are 2weeks and 1 half days old and 4 the past four days my sister has been looking after them for me and my food suply seems to be getting low. Thank you xx
Kellybishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: el301 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Frozen food for babies

No worries

No guarantee it will work - from other threads it isn't the recommended way to feed them - but it seems to work fine for mine so far *knock on wood*

Best of luck!
el301 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
babies, food, frozen