The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Laying eggs

This is a discussion on Laying eggs within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; woah!!! today my axolotl gave me surprise!!! she laid eggs!! andd im confused! she burrys it in sand and they ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th April 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 4
Rep: Doki has started on the right path
Question Laying eggs

woah!!! today my axolotl gave me surprise!!! she laid eggs!! andd im confused! she burrys it in sand and they are yellow color of sand is it normal? mom is albino white and dad is black wild type. i dont know when she is finished since i see only little of eggs like 8 of them so far, she dont lay on leafs only in sand is it normal?when i know she is done?

Doki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 12
Rep: Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11
Default Re: Laying eggs

Hi Rita,

Axolotl females will lay hundreds of eggs (on everything, from rocks, to plants, to substrate, everywhere), and can also lay in excess of 1000 eggs in one laying.

Are you sure these are not spermatophores being deposited by the male? Spermatophores are dropped to the ground so the female can easily 'pick them up'.

Could you post a photo of these 'eggs'?

Pictures of both eggs and spermatophores can be found by scrolling down to the bottom of this breeding page.

Useful links: Forum Rules | Axolotl Caresheets | Axolotl Sanctuary | Axolotl FAQ| Water Quality FAQ | Caudata Culture Articles
Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: Doki has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havelock View Post
Hi Rita,

Axolotl females will lay hundreds of eggs (on everything, from rocks, to plants, to substrate, everywhere), and can also lay in excess of 1000 eggs in one laying.

Are you sure these are not spermatophores being deposited by the male? Spermatophores are dropped to the ground so the female can easily 'pick them up'.

Could you post a photo of these 'eggs'?

Pictures of both eggs and spermatophores can be found by scrolling down to the bottom of this breeding page.
now that i think it doesent look like eggs or spermatophores its hard as rock, i murdered one and it was filled with white liquick, they are different shape and different size what is it!? cant d o pic doesent come out.

Doki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: SUZY has shown reliable knowledge

Could it be that your axie is pooping out sand along with protien, that's what it sounds like to me. Especially if it's hard as a rock. Good luck with your delema.

SUZY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggs, laying

LinkBack