The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Selling Axolotls in America?

This is a discussion on Selling Axolotls in America? within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I want to breed and sell axolotls. I have 3 young females, one of which has already started making eggs, ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2010   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Munchausen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selling Axolotls in America?

I want to breed and sell axolotls. I have 3 young females, one of which has already started making eggs, a young male, and an older male. Has anyone here breed axolotls before? I was thinking of selling them to local mom and pop pet stores. I have a thousand questions, like, is it legal? profitable? how do I set up the books of the business, so that I can differentiate between costs of maintaining my first pet axolotl and the other ones in the "business"? I have helped raise axolotls from babies before, but the only real questions I have are the legal and accounting side of the business.
Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010   #2 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Selling Axolotls in America?

You will have to pay state sales tax and federal income tax on the money you make. Rules for setting up a business selling amphibians are different for different states and municipalities. You have to find out the regs for your state and city, borough, or county.

For Penna. I have a State sales tax number, a Reptile and Amphibian dealer license with the Dept. of Ag. and a Reptile and Amphibian Artificial Propagation license with the dept of Ag. I also sell amphibians in Md. and N Y and have state sales tax permits for both of those states. I file and pay sales tax quarterly to semiannually for each state I sell in. I pay state and federal income taxes on the business annually when I pay my regular income tax. If you make a lot of money you might be required to pay state and federal tax quarterly to semiannually. I have my books gone over once a year by an accountant. Starting up you might need to see an accountant more than once a year. I keep track of expenses and amortize breeding stock.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 6
Rep: Coastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Most importantly you can't sell or own them in CA and NJ without getting a big fat fine.
Old 21st January 2010   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

If you only want to breed and sell a few locally, you may be able to consider this a hobby rather than a business. You should first assess whether there is a local market to sell a significant number, or just a few. And decide if you will be willing to ship them, which would greatly increase your market.

The IRS allows you to make a nominal amount of money from a hobby without declaring it a business. But you MUST declare it to be a business if (1) You intend to make money and conduct it like a business or (2) You make a profit for a certain number of years (you'd need to read the regs yourself, I don't remember how many years). So you could probably get away with doing what you are proposing as a hobby, at least for a while. The usual disclaimers: read the IRS rules yourself, don't take my word for it! I accept no liability if I am wrong about this advice!

I have declared my sales of offspring as a business. I don't use an accountant, but I'm sure I'm losing lots of deductions by not doing so. I didn't bother to convert my pets and equipment to business assets.
Old 21st January 2010   #5 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

[QUOTE=Jennewt;220667]If you only want to breed and sell a few locally, you may be able to consider this a hobby rather than a business.

In Pa. to sell any animals to a pet store or at a reptile show you need the tax number, breeder permit, and sales permit. Regs vary by state.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: dbuckle2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you know of any places in Northern VA that sell Axolotl?
dbuckle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: ltldawny30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just stopping by to say Hello Michael. Nice to see you here. :)
ltldawny30 is offline   Reply With Quote