The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Brine shrimp hatching and harvesting tutorial

This is a discussion on Brine shrimp hatching and harvesting tutorial within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Found this really good website. I think the bloke who runs it is the same one who sold me a ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th February 2013   #41 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: SuperSteve has started on the right path
Default Re: Brine shrimp hatching and harvesting tutorial

Found this really good website. I think the bloke who runs it is the same one who sold me a couple of mine. Should I be using dechlorinated water? If so then thats where I've been slipping up.

:: Manchester Axolotls ::

SuperSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013   #42 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Xe513x is an unknown quantity at this point

Awesome tutorial!

Old 14th April 2013   #43 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Yucca Patrol has shown reliable knowledgeYucca Patrol has shown reliable knowledge

How long after hatching are the BBC considered "baby" and suitable for use as food for larvae?

I work in a children's museum and our aquarium staff hatches large numbers of them, but I know they keep the hatched ones for least several days.

It would be great to use these and not have to bother hatching myself, but I am willing to do it at home if they need to be used the same day they are hatched.

Although I have kept axolotls for several years, this is the first time I have had eggs.

I also ordered a starter culture of micro worms and started a daphnia culture today but they are the larger variety, so only the baby daphnia will be suitable until my axolotl babies are a bit more grown up.

Yucca Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013   #44 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mrmiller130 is an unknown quantity at this point

I tried the brine shrimp but i just dont feel like it was enough for them so i jumped them up to blood worms as soon as i could.

mrmiller130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013   #45 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Yucca Patrol has shown reliable knowledgeYucca Patrol has shown reliable knowledge

Another question: What is the best/easiest way to separate the brine shrimp from the unhatched eggs and hatched egg capsules?

Yucca Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2013   #46 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: ciele02 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to say a big thank you for your tutorial. It has worked brilliantly and i had everything i needed on hand. It was a lot better than paying the $30-$70 for the kits I've seen!

ciele02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013   #47 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: LurkDog is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the tutorial. This looks pretty easy to follow.

LurkDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013   #48 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: seagull is an unknown quantity at this point

any tips on getting the brine shrimp a bit bigger for older babies? like how many days do they need? can the brine shrimp be fed a mix of chrushed algae wafers and yeast?

seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013   #49 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: usafaux2004 has shown reliable knowledgeusafaux2004 has shown reliable knowledge

The babies are more nutrient rich early on. Just make more babies.

Also, I had an issue with a hatchery set up like this. The non upside down bottle with line running top to bottom wouldn't stir the bottom on the opposite side and eggs would clump and not hatch there.

usafaux2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013   #50 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: seagull is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafaux2004 View Post
The babies are more nutrient rich early on. Just make more babies.

Also, I had an issue with a hatchery set up like this. The non upside down bottle with line running top to bottom wouldn't stir the bottom on the opposite side and eggs would clump and not hatch there.
last time i hatched brineys i simply took the tube, strung it through a closed portion cup with magnets in it and put it in there
that way the tube was on the bottom in the center with the opening parallel to the floor so a big bubble rose to the surface to stir everything evenly

seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013   #51 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: usafaux2004 has shown reliable knowledgeusafaux2004 has shown reliable knowledge

Mine formed a coil around the bottom, but still left a dead spot on the opposite empty side. Had a freak out my second feeding day because I had tested the set up on the upside down set up before they hatched and it was all good. Then the first day I used it to make it fine too. Second patch went to **** in that set up, but I hadn't dumped the first, and it still had some shrimp left, so I managed. Since then I've bought a second kit (could have made it..but it was like $15 and was nice and plastic), and use the two alternating.

usafaux2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013   #52 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 12
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Thumbs up Re: Brine shrimp hatching and harvesting tutorial

Man, everybody has been saying "great tutorial" and I have to say, it really seems to be. I have had bad luck with them in the past, but the next time I have babies I will do this method, seems like it will work great! Thanks for the great tutorial! lol.

Old 14th January 2014   #53 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Aschneider8 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am wondering about feeding and growing the brine shrimp a bit bigger too with spirulina or yeast. Also is nutritional yeast OK instead of baker's yeast. I found this smart DIY hatchery, but it is more complicated.

This looks interesting for growing them and saving the ones that would be wasted.

Aschneider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014   #54 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Momcicle is an unknown quantity at this point

With your babies- how often are you clearing out the dead brine from their water?

Momcicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014   #55 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momcicle View Post
With your babies- how often are you clearing out the dead brine from their water?
You need to celan out larvae tubs at least daily, but BBS die within about 4 hours in freshwater and need to be removed ASAP. I use a turkey baster to remove most of them after 4 hours.

I use a coarse net and gently pour the entire contents of a tub (larvae, dead BBS, waste and water) through it. The dead BBS, poop and water fall straight through, the larvae are caught in the net and can be transferred to a clean tub.

Old 16th February 2014   #56 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Momcicle is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your response. At what age do you usually change them over to blood worms?

Momcicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014   #57 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momcicle View Post
Thank you for your response. At what age do you usually change them over to blood worms?
As soon as their mouths are big enough! It's size not age that matters.

Old 5th March 2014   #58 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Smokey0923 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is natural sea salt the opposite of iodized sea salt?

Smokey0923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2014   #59 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:

Not opposite exactly. Don't use any iodized salt, use table salt, sea salt etc.

Old 7th March 2014   #60 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Smokey0923 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's what I'm asking..would it be natural sea salt?

Smokey0923 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, babies, baby brine shrimp, brine shrimp, pictures, tutorial

LinkBack