The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

How do the Axolotl color genetics work?

This is a discussion on How do the Axolotl color genetics work? within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi there axie lovers. I'm am trying to find an answer to these questions. I know axies come in different ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th August 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 0
Rep: Icarez has shown reliable knowledge
Question How do the Axolotl color genetics work?

Hi there axie lovers.

I'm am trying to find an answer to these questions.

I know axies come in different colours (albino / dark / wild / white / golden / piebald)

However, wich mother / father does it take to get a certain colour?

For example, lets say a white male and a wild female produce fertalized eggs.

Are the children just gonna be white or wild again? or is there chance that they will become one of the other colour varients like albino?

I currently have 2 young axies, 1 white and 1 wild, and I just need to know if it is worth breeding with them, if not they should last longer not to breed...

Oh and one more thing on the side, I know how to tell male from female when they are fully grown, is there anyone who can tell this when they are like 2 to 3 months old?

Cheers
Patrick

Icarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: The Banana has given good advice and informationThe Banana has given good advice and information
Default Re: How do the Axolotl color genetics work?

Heya Patrick,
It really depends a lot on the genes on each colouration, etc. Have a quick look at Axolotl.org's Genetic & Colour page MAY help you.
Hopefully a more experienced member in genetics will come along and help you farther.

As for sexing juvies, unfortunately we have to wait until they are fully mature to sex them.

The Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: Icarez has shown reliable knowledge
Red face Re: How do the Axolotl color genetics work?

Thanks, I did read that page earlier on, it;s very helpfull indeed.
However, with the hard words I can understand in english, all I can take from that page is that "every" combination is possible as long as the chromosomes switch over enough to create a different mutant.
Ofcourse this could just be the only answer :)

I still really hope I have a male and female, They are both the same age but one is a little bit slimmer and smaller, so i secretly hope that thats the female

Should be able to tell for sure when they reach about 6 months in age right?

Cheers

Icarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: NaterPotater has started on the right path
Default Re: How do the Axolotl color genetics work?

Wild type is dominant. Any other color was originally a mutation, hence wild type is what they naturally are (were) in the wild. A wild type axolotl can be homozygous for the dominant wild type coloration or heterozygous, carrying the recessive color allele. White, or leucistic, means they are homozygous for the white coloration, referencing the axolotl.org explanation, they are d/d. A wild type can either be D/D or D/d, but either way they will look wild type because the D allele is dominant. If you don't know specific details of your axolotls' parentage, there's no way to know whether your wild type is homozygous (D/D) or heterozygous (D/d). If it's homozygous, all of the babies between it and a leucistic would still be wild type. The wild type would definitely pass on the D, and the leucistic would definitely pass on the d, therefore all of the babies would be wild type, heterozygous carriers of the leucistic d. If the wild type is heterozygous though, D/d, then there's a 50/50 chance it will pass on either the dominant D or the recessive d. The leucistic will still only have a 'd' to pass on. So the babies will be approximately half wild type (D/d) and half leucistic (d/d). So breeding for you would come down to whether one happens to be male and the other female, and if that IS the case, the babies would either be all wild type or about half wild and half leucistic depending on the genetics of the wild. It doesn't matter which is male and which is female.

NaterPotater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, breeding, colours

LinkBack