The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Axolotl babies

This is a discussion on Axolotl babies within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; My babies started hatching Dec 13th 2011. I am in need of advise in what to feed them. I first ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th January 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: laura42251 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Axolotl babies

My babies started hatching Dec 13th 2011. I am in need of advise in what to feed them. I first used daphnia pulex and frozen tubiflex worms, then moved on to daphnia magna (using only the baby ones) and frozen daphnia. Now I am using daphnia monia babies. What else can I use to feed these baby axolotls?? I am at a loss.....? I have about 100 babies left and they are hungry. Thanks for any help. Laura

laura42251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Dr0gr1n has given consistently good advice and informationDr0gr1n has given consistently good advice and informationDr0gr1n has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Axolotl babies

my first thought was baby brine shrimp but then I see they are almost a month old. Not sure of their size but maybe chopped up blood worms, small sinking soft trout pellets, maybe you could chop those up.

I am sure there will be others along that will point you in the right direction.

You may want to add how big they are at the moment. Maybe a pic or two.

Best of Luck

Old 13th January 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: laura42251 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Jason! My babies are about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch long. I am trying to send a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Axolotl babies-imag0094-1-.jpg  

laura42251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Dr0gr1n has given consistently good advice and informationDr0gr1n has given consistently good advice and informationDr0gr1n has given consistently good advice and information

I would hatch out some baby brine shrimp to feed them. While they are hatching, could take up to 2 days, you could chop up the blood worms really fine.

YouTube is a good resource on hatching baby brines.

Cute little guy!

LinkBack