The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Do I own male or female axolotl?? :) Advice please.

This is a discussion on Do I own male or female axolotl?? :) Advice please. within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I have 2 axolotl which are both about 6" in size, I wasn't worried about gender when purchasing them so ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

View Poll Results: Axolotl gender

Both female 2 7.14%
Both male 2 7.14%
Albino - Male Wild Type - Female 8 28.57%
Albino - Female Wildtype - Male 4 14.29%
Not sure ! 12 42.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By melfly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st February 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Axie123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Do I own male or female axolotl?? :) Advice please.

I have 2 axolotl which are both about 6" in size, I wasn't worried about gender when purchasing them so i didn't really question it, now im curious..

Any signs i should be looking out for? (I've tried & it seems fairly hard to tell)

As a guess i believe the Greenish brown speckled axolotl is male & my albino is Female.. though i could be wrong!
Attached Thumbnails
Do I own male or female axolotl?? :) Advice please.-photo-2-.jpg   Do I own male or female axolotl?? :) Advice please.-photo-3-.jpg   Do I own male or female axolotl?? :) Advice please.-photo.jpg  

Axie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: danchristopher has given consistently good advice and informationdanchristopher has given consistently good advice and informationdanchristopher has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Do i own male or female axolotl?? :) Advice please.

It kind of looks like they both have little lumps from the pictures, but it is hard to tell. If you can get clear photos of the area just near their back legs it might make it easier for us to judge properly.

Are the tips of your albinos toes dark? This would indicate sexual maturity. White tips on your other axies toes would indicate the same. Have a read through the axolotl biology page, it has good advice on sexing: http://www.axolotl.org/biology.htm

danchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

I will add some more!

Yes the albinos toes have been noicably greyish for the past month or so.. it also seems to have a slightly swollen stomach, but is being fridged at the moment! - Seems to have maybe been constipated.

By the way, the axolotl in your picture, is it that yellow in life??
Attached Thumbnails
Do I own male or female axolotl?? :) Advice please.-photo-5-.jpg   Do I own male or female axolotl?? :) Advice please.-photo-8-.jpg   Do I own male or female axolotl?? :) Advice please.-photo-7-.jpg  

Old 1st February 2012   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: lea has given consistently good advice and informationlea has given consistently good advice and informationlea has given consistently good advice and informationlea has given consistently good advice and information

I think your axies are still a little bit to young to sex just yet, but there is a lump so one at least might be a boy.

lea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Yep, i think the albino is slightly older as they were from the same pet shop but different tanks (one normal selling + one "baby axolotl" one) So i'd imagine if the albino was male it would be more obvious by now??

It appears more like the darker axolotl could be a boy, but the albino looks different, so this could mean it is a she maybe?

:)

Old 1st February 2012   #6 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: danchristopher has given consistently good advice and informationdanchristopher has given consistently good advice and informationdanchristopher has given consistently good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axie123 View Post
I will add some more!

Yes the albinos toes have been noicably greyish for the past month or so.. it also seems to have a slightly swollen stomach, but is being fridged at the moment! - Seems to have maybe been constipated.

By the way, the axolotl in your picture, is it that yellow in life??
From the underside of the albino in the picture it doesn't look like it has the boy lumps. Your darker axie looks like it might be developing into a boy though, but like lea said might be too early to tell.

As for the axie in my picture, yes it is yellow in real life. Parents were albino and golden albino and I believe it would have turned more golden yellow as it aged - I didn't keep any of these juvies though unfortunately D:

danchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Yes, i'd have to agree with you, my guesses would match that, but i guess i'll have to wait & find out!

Wow, it's pretty.. that's a big shame!
I only have these 2, my first 2, lovely pets :)

Old 1st February 2012   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

Well, I think it is a little to early to tell as 6 inches as they are still a tad small. But when I looked at the first pictures I thought the wild type was more likely to be female and the leucistic male...that is only based on body shape and I am very good at being wrong

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Post I have two axolotl, what are their genders? :)

I have taken more pictures of my two axolotls, as im unsure if they are male + female or both the same gender.

I think my wildtype is a male, pretty sure (though i am no expert) + the albino at a guess is female, as it looks somewhat different body shaped though i may be wrong.

Also what sort of age / size can axolotls begin to breed?

:) Thankyou in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Do I own male or female axolotl?? :) Advice please.-img_2210.jpg   Do I own male or female axolotl?? :) Advice please.-img_2184.jpg   Do I own male or female axolotl?? :) Advice please.-img_2201.jpg  

Old 1st February 2012   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

I made a new thread with extra pictures of my 2 :)

: I have two axolotl, what are their genders? :)

Old 1st February 2012   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Question Potential breeding pair? :) Would be grateful of some opinions!

I have taken more pictures of my two axolotls, as im unsure if they are male + female or both the same gender.

I think my wildtype is a male, pretty sure (though i am no expert) + the albino at a guess is female, as it looks somewhat different body shaped though i may be wrong.

Also what sort of age / size can axolotls begin to breed?

:) Thankyou in advance!

(p.s the toes of the albino are darkened and the wildtypes toes are lighter)
Attached Thumbnails
Do I own male or female axolotl?? :) Advice please.-img_2210.jpg   Do I own male or female axolotl?? :) Advice please.-img_2201.jpg   Do I own male or female axolotl?? :) Advice please.-img_2184.jpg  

Old 2nd February 2012   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: HeatherFeather is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potential breeding pair? :) Would be grateful of some opinions!

I think they're a little too young to tell yet!

HeatherFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012   #13 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: hacelepues has given good advice and informationhacelepues has given good advice and informationhacelepues has given good advice and information
Default Re: I have two axolotl, what are their genders? :)

As far as I can tell, they're both females. It would help if you had a side-shot of the albino.

Males are really REALLY swollen.

Also, I can't say for sure from the photos, but it doesn't seem like they are sexually mature yet (lack of painted toenails). So you might have to wait a little longer to find out.

Want more axie forum fun? visit http://www.reddit.com/r/axolotls/
hacelepues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012   #14 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: I have two axolotl, what are their genders? :)

Please stop making multiple threads about this.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:

Sorry i just lost the post as i am new + was unsure of how to find my own posts.
Also i thought i may get more replies if i had the new pictures as a new article rather than showing the same people again to get a wider view =]

thanks though everyone i will just wait + see.

My axolotl is much better from fridging great advice thankyou very very much

Old 6th February 2012   #16 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 12
Comments: 4
Rep: melfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Too young in my opinion.

I have a wild who has a typical female body shape, she's called Florence.
At 19 months she suddenly decide to show she was in fact a male.......

Mel

melfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:

I've owned mine about 2 months the albinos slightly older but they must have been at the petshop for a month or 2 and raised for a couple months before that so potentially about 6-7 months old, so a good while to go then probably.

What sort of age do axolotls usually begin to lay eggs?? + are there any tell tale signs?? Just in the instance that happened if one was female :)

Old 10th August 2016   #18 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Nina Willis is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine were close to 10 inchs befor i could tell sex. If you have a male, you will know once he is mature. The difference was significant in mine, as the males are much more swolen.
If you see clear gell triangals caped with white, this is the spwrm caps and you will more than likely be getting eggs. They also become more active. If i remember corectly they become mature at a year to 18 months.

Nina Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016   #19 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: MCEntwistle is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to jump on :)

Hello im pretty new to the axolotl game iv only had my axolotl 3 months and he/she is pretty happy and i would say he/she is about 6-8 months old now iv been reading up on forums but cant decide for my self anyone tell me if mine is male or female
Attached Thumbnails
Do I own male or female axolotl?? :) Advice please.-image.jpeg  

MCEntwistle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, female, gender, male

LinkBack