The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Lots and Lots of Axolotl Eggs! :)

This is a discussion on Lots and Lots of Axolotl Eggs! :) within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I recently introduced my Golden Albino female to my adult tank of a Wild-type female and a Melanoid (black) male. ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By mistylynn2007
  • 1 Post By melfly
  • 2 Post By melfly
  • 1 Post By esn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th April 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mistylynn2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lots and Lots of Axolotl Eggs! :)

I recently introduced my Golden Albino female to my adult tank of a Wild-type female and a Melanoid (black) male. Two days later, my albino laid her first set of eggs and two days after that my other female followed suit. That brings us up to today. Said second female, Axol is her name, is still finishing up the laying process, and it is looking like we'll have over 500 total.

Last edited by Kaysie; 28th April 2012 at 19:24.
mistylynn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: gfsward has started on the right path
Default Re: Lots and Lots of Axolotl Eggs! :)

Congradulations! That's awesome!

gfsward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 12
Comments: 4
Rep: melfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

What are your plans with all these eggs?

Mel

melfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

We are willing to sell to anyone who would like to try their hand at raising them, but otherwise we will have our hands full raising as many as possible. We will resell them to individuals and/or to the pet store we bought the parents from.

Old 30th April 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thank you!

Old 2nd May 2012   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: melfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I would definitely have a think about this.
You should decide on an exact number to raise and either give away the rest, place back in the tank or dispose of the eggs.

This may sound a little cruel but I know how hard it is to raise babies, I have been raising for about 3 years. The most i've raised in one go is 90 and it was not fun and I will never ever attempt that number again.
The water changes and feeding becomes a very lengthy chore. I hatch my own brine shrimp and that in itself was taking time and lots of energy.

They start nipping each other and have to be split up. They grow at different rates and also need to be split up. tubs tubs and more tubs meaning more and more water changes.

I would stick to a smaller more managable number. I find 30 is just enough.

Otherwise your whole house will be full of tubs!

Mel

Old 2nd May 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: michel3171 has started on the right path

It is always hard to ''have less pets than you had first (deleting pets, I don't know how to make this sound not as harsh)'', but you can't raise 500 Axies!!!

Sell to your friends, the pet shop, internet, and what is left, you can raise. If there is more then 50, you should start putting away the left over ones
Again, I don't know how to make this sound ''Ok''

Old 2nd May 2012   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: esn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

If the axolotls are young they won't all survive. Personally, my axies laid for the first time last winter. Over 500 eggs. None of them made it. Might have been because I had to move them from my home, but less than 30 hatched. The ones that did died very quickly. I got spinners. You probably won't have the same luck, but know that they won't all make it.

I have no comment on how many you should raise for a first time. If you feel prepared and have time, go for it. I personally don't find that it takes that long to change water and feed, but everyone has different ideas. Pretty much all I do at home when not working or going to school is take care of animals. It's my life.

esn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012   #9 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by esn View Post
If the axolotls are young they won't all survive. Personally, my axies laid for the first time last winter. Over 500 eggs. None of them made it. Might have been because I had to move them from my home, but less than 30 hatched. The ones that did died very quickly. I got spinners. You probably won't have the same luck, but know that they won't all make it.

I have no comment on how many you should raise for a first time. If you feel prepared and have time, go for it. I personally don't find that it takes that long to change water and feed, but everyone has different ideas. Pretty much all I do at home when not working or going to school is take care of animals. It's my life.
My axolotl survival rate (not from a first spawn) is usually around 90% at the very minimum. I dont know if thats good genetics or good rearing but almost all of mine survive.

Changing the water on 90 axolotls takes ages. especially if they are in 30+ different tubs.......which they need to be in to avoid 'accidents' and to give them a resonable quality of life.

I've raised hundreds but never all at once.

Mel

Tags
axolotl, babies, eggs, idaho, oregon, washington

LinkBack