The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

First feeding day today...Wildtype, Melanoid??

This is a discussion on First feeding day today...Wildtype, Melanoid?? within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I have 9 babies and today was their first feeding day on brine shrimp I noticed right away the wildtypes ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By axolotl lvr
  • 1 Post By Smdee
  • 1 Post By melfly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd May 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 3
Rep: axolotl lvr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First feeding day today...Wildtype, Melanoid??

I have 9 babies and today was their first feeding day on brine shrimp

I noticed right away the wildtypes (green and black speckles) I thought there was about 5 of them however looking more closely I have noticed 2 that look different, Ive never seen a melonoid hatchling before but two are a lil different..

The first one you hopefully will be able to see in the pic is like a dark grey solid.. and a weird speck of orange is inbetween his eyes, ( its either a true spec of orange or a bbs stuck to its head lol)

the other one looks just the same but no spec.. I also have some albino or golden albino babies as well..

Just wanted to know if you think these are melanoid?? Its the middle one

Thanks so much!!
Attached Thumbnails
First feeding day today...Wildtype, Melanoid??-mel.jpg  

Old 2nd May 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Mycenaean has shown reliable knowledgeMycenaean has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: First feeding day today...Wildtype, Melanoid??

Does anyone have tips for identifying melanoids? I cannot see the difference between the two in the photo (my eyes don't see colors correctly). I'm trying to figure out if I have any melanoids, I just assumed they were all wild type.

Mycenaean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

the wildtype is usually a green color with speckles of black.. light on the head with noticable specs or dot on the body.. a melanoid if i have some are like a gray solid color both have black eyes.

Old 2nd May 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Smdee has shown reliable knowledge

I can see a difference, but I have no idea. Congrats on your larva though! So cute

Old 2nd May 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks Staci!! I loooove the lil babies they are so cute!!! Its going to be hard to find homes.. Ill want to keep em all lol... Ill keep this thread updated with weekly pics.. this one that i think is a melanoid is amazing looking.. It has this strange orange dot on its head lol.. so pretty!! Im excited to see how they look in a few weeks.. there is four albino and or golden albinos too.. i love em!!

Old 2nd May 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Mycenaean has shown reliable knowledgeMycenaean has shown reliable knowledge

Oh wow.... so that means my father axolotl is melanoid, he's like as close to black as you can get.

He looks like the one on the left, which apparently is melanoid.
Click the image to open in full size.

I guess that makes sense, because melanin is the stuff that's produced more highly darker skinned people. I should know that!

Mycenaean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: michel3171 has started on the right path

Very nice looking Axolotls! I guess they are in a temporarily holding container, not their actual home? Or does the picture make the container look small?

michel3171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 12
Comments: 4
Rep: melfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

If you shine a torch near the babies you should beable to see their eyes shining.

If all of their eyes shine, you dont have any melanoid babies.

Non melanoid will have a shiney iris

Mel

melfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axie, babies, hatchling, melanoid

LinkBack