The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Air stone for babies?

This is a discussion on Air stone for babies? within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi all! I haven't been able to find if the babies should have an air stone or not after hatching. ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By emily74
  • 2 Post By Mycenaean

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th May 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: emily74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Air stone for babies?

Hi all! I haven't been able to find if the babies should have an air stone or not after hatching. I'm assuming since none of the articles on raising them that I could find mention it, that it's probably not needed but I wanted to make sure. Also, I read on the axolotl.org site that soft water is not the best for them. Our building uses a water softener, I have no idea how to get "hard water" ... any ideas? Or is it not that big of a deal? Ahhh I'm so nervous! One of the little guys started to wiggle in his egg last night and it startled the heck out of me lol. Very cool!

emily74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Smdee has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Air stone for babies?

I haven't heard anything about needing an airstone. Seems like it would just knock the babies around the tank. They're so small! XD.

And I think you could add salt to make the water hard? But I'm not sure about this. I've also heard Epsom salt or marine salt work too (something about magnesium and calcium not being present in soft water) but it's not something I'd feel comfortable trying without finding out from an expert first!

Congrats on your little guys! The first time I saw one of mine move, I was rivted. Then scared my roommates by yelling that they were moving. It's very cool indeed

Old 4th May 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: emily74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you! that's kinda what I was thinking, that it would be too much for them anyways, but I would feel horrible if they all died because I didn't put one in. Thank you again!

emily74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: iChris has given consistently excellent advice and informationiChris has given consistently excellent advice and informationiChris has given consistently excellent advice and informationiChris has given consistently excellent advice and information

it couldn't hurt if it wasn't bubbling too much.

Old 4th May 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: michel3171 has started on the right path

If the bubbles don't make too much current in the water, then it is good. Axolotls need Oxygen rich water, or else they will swim to the surface to get air constantly. I own 2 Axolotls, and I do use an Airstone, but I don't have it ''on'' all the time, mainly because my Axolotls like to sit in the plants, wich are located next to the airstone.

Old 4th May 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

If the water is shallow, then you will not need to use an air stone.

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Mycenaean has shown reliable knowledgeMycenaean has shown reliable knowledge

I tend to not use an air stone until they are 2+ inches or so. Before then I am replacing the water so often (due to baby brine shrimp salinity) that there is plenty of oxygen. Good luck with your little ones!

Mycenaean is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack