The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

7 weeks 2 days since hatching only 22mm long?

This is a discussion on 7 weeks 2 days since hatching only 22mm long? within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; It's 7 weeks and 2 days since my eggs hatched, (from 23 eggs I have 3 survivors) and the remaining ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Neil C

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th May 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 7
Rep: RuthiePee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 7 weeks 2 days since hatching only 22mm long?

It's 7 weeks and 2 days since my eggs hatched, (from 23 eggs I have 3 survivors) and the remaining look healthy (are not housed together) with front legs but they are still only 22mm long. From blogs and posts I think these are tiny....I am feeling them baby brine and then daphnia, they are not interested in the high protein pellets I bought or bloodworm, though I keep trying.

Any tips greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
7 weeks 2 days since hatching only 22mm long?-292181_3648147455096_1616737001_2776075_1248988701_n.jpg  

RuthiePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Neil C has given consistently good advice and informationNeil C has given consistently good advice and informationNeil C has given consistently good advice and informationNeil C has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: 7 weeks 2 days since hatching only 22mm long?

They are still far to young to be eating pellets but keep trying with the frozen bloodworm. If you can buy live blackworms/bloodworms these would be much more likely to provoke a feeding response.

Regards Neil

Neil C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks Neil, I thought the same but the reptile shop owner thought he knew best! I will trust my instincts in future. I will try live bloodworm, defrosting all these cubes for three bloodworms at a time is hardly economical! Can live ones be kept for long? Thank you :)

Old 16th May 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Hamamelis is an unknown quantity at this point

If you get a bag of good live ones as soon as they come in to the pet shop, open asap and keep it in a tub in the fridge, they'll last at least 2 weeks, maybe 3. If you don't open the bag, they'll be dead in a week, even if you do keep them cold.

By the way, 22mm seems a little small to be eating bloodworm to me; they'll only be able to fit in the very smallest. Daphnia might be better at this stage, and they'll form their own colony from a starter few if you put them in a sunny spot.

Hamamelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thank you for the advice re: storage. I used to work in an aquatics shop many moons ago and absolutely hated the bags of live food- they used to give me the creeps! Quite funny looking back at that when I chop up earthworms and all sorts for my axies lol I chopped some defrosted frozen bloodworms in half and they loved them! I'm sure they've grown a lot in 48 hours, and their colour seems to be changing too. Thanks so much :)

LinkBack