The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

BE CAREFUL! Axolotls can get egg bound

This is a discussion on BE CAREFUL! Axolotls can get egg bound within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; As you will have read, most axolotls have A LOT of eggs.. If yours does not and starts showing signs ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By John

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th May 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Yindy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BE CAREFUL! Axolotls can get egg bound

As you will have read, most axolotls have A LOT of eggs.. If yours does not and starts showing signs within a couple of days that she is agitated (not eating, droopy gills etc) she may be egg bound. You need to milk her or she could get septicaemia. I only say this because my wild axi Olive passed today after visiting the vets too late.. Because we had believed this idea that axolotls always reabsorb their eggs. Don't rely 100% on general advise, nothing is better than a vets diagnosis if the usual things (fridge, salt baths) don't work. Also the fridge can slow the process of infection making it more diifficult to recognise.

I learnt all this the hard way if you're really worries about your pet take him/her to the vet.

Yindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Smdee has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: BE CAREFUL! Axolotls can get egg bound

Thank you for the advice. I'm sorry for your loss

Old 19th May 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 7
Rep: RuthiePee is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for sharing, that is so sad. She will be swimming with my friends, I lost five adult axies to an unsafe water treatment some months ago, and I really feel for your loss.

RuthiePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Rep: 2gsom is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for your loss thanks for sharing the information

2gsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: ltldawny30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Whats 'milking them'?

ltldawny30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11

Did a vet actually advise you to "milk" eggs out of your axolotl? And how would one go about this?

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: maree8ree is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for your lost....thanks for the info!

maree8ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012   #8 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I'm sorry for the trouble you experienced, and I'm sure your vet is doing their best. However, Ambystoma do not get egg-bound (no salamander is capable of this, as far as I'm aware). If the eggs are not laid, they are resorbed into the body. That's a fact. If I had a literature citation handy I would post it for you but I don't. You'll have to take my word on it.

The big problem here is that vets who are not amphibian experts like to lump amphibians in with reptiles. This is a common mistake. Very few vets are going to tell you "Well, I have a lot of experience with reptiles, but I'm not an expert on amphibians". Incidentally, I would be more inclined to work with a vet who admits ignorance but shows a willingness to help, than work with one whose ego and desire for cash outweighs their ethics (or one who actually believes amphibians and reptiles have the same physiology!).

I don't dispute that there was something wrong with your axolotl, but it certainly wasn't egg binding.

LinkBack