The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

I have axolotl eggs... and lots of them! -First timer!

This is a discussion on I have axolotl eggs... and lots of them! -First timer! within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi guys, I am just posting here mainly for help and guidance as I'm quite new at this and want ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th May 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Kirby has started on the right path
Default I have axolotl eggs... and lots of them! -First timer!

Hi guys,

I am just posting here mainly for help and guidance as I'm quite new at this and want to get it right but also to let anybody know that I have eggs if they want any!

They were laid on Tuesday 15th May (5 days ago!) by my black axolotl, Juggernaught, (that i thought was a boy!) She is in a tank with 2 males (one black and one albino pink/white).

I took the eggs out of the axxie tank and into their own tank with an air stone and have been monitoring them.

Most of them look fertile from what information i can gather.. they all turned into a 'eye' shape on the 4th day and now they are looking even bigger and kidney shaped. They're definitely forming!

Here are a few photos of the development...

The day they were laid

Click the image to open in full size.

Yesterday (and the mom!)

Today (5 days later!)

How do you guys think they are looking? Fertile or not?

Thanks for any help and i have LOADS so if anybody wants any, just give me a shout! :)

Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Dr0gr1n has given consistently good advice and informationDr0gr1n has given consistently good advice and informationDr0gr1n has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: I have axolotl eggs... and lots of them! -First timer!

They look good to me. None look cloudy yet, and the day 5 pics look like they are no longer round so I would say they are off to a good start.

If you are wanting to keep them from being eaten you should remove them from the tank or they will become food when they hatch. If you are not wanting to raise them you could leave those that are not given away and nature will take place.

I know some will give me a hard time for saying that but it is nature, the simple fact we have these creatures in tanks is unnatural. I'm not giving mine up any time soon but just stating a fact.

Old 21st May 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks very much for your advice! I am very much looking forward to and hoping for some babies but not all of them! I donít want to have a tank full of axxies that i can't get rid of!

i did leave some eggs in the parents tank, but wussed out and removed them into the 'nursery' tank! Its all incredibly exciting! :)

There are literally about 3 or 4 out of over a hundred that have gone cloudy, so I think were doing well for our first time!

I am aware that mummy axxie has lost some filaments, btw, viewable in the picture. There is another thread I started to try and combat the filament loss. L Very worried about my poor little guys, but very please I get to experience axxie eggs! J

I appear to be having a bit of trouble keeping the tanks cool.. any ideas? Theyre usually around 16C but I need to keep it at that as it can fluctuate :s

Old 1st June 2012   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 12
Comments: 4
Rep: melfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

If you need anyone to raise some i'd be happy to.

Mel

melfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hiya,

That would be great. They have hatched now! I have found homes for alot of them but still have quite a few left! And they're still hatching! Any help would be mega appreciated!

I'm just wondering, at what age do they need to be put in sand and have a filter? They have an air stone :)

LinkBack