The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

How much to feed babies?

This is a discussion on How much to feed babies? within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; How much BBS should I feed baby axies - newly hatched or a few weeks old? Should it be enough ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th May 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Lady Rassilon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much to feed babies?

How much BBS should I feed baby axies - newly hatched or a few weeks old?
Should it be enough to see the orange in the water, or is this too much?

I've been struggling to feed my babies correctly. At first I didn't have enough BBS (de-casulated eggs just didn't hatch well for me). Now I have a new batch of shrimp eggs and can hatch BBS in abundance, but it seems only two out of several axie babies are actually eating it.
Only two have orange stomachs, and are stong and active. The others don't seem to eat, or are still weak.

How much is too much?
I suspect I am putting too much into their water, but no matter how much I use it seems only the two axies want to eat much.
At the moment I put in rinsed BBS and leave them for a couple of hours, then change the water so as not to foul it.

Do they need to be fed several times a day in small amounts, or just once a day?

Lady Rassilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: How much to feed babies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rassilon View Post
How much BBS should I feed baby axies - newly hatched or a few weeks old? Should it be enough to see the orange in the water, or is this too much?
Do they need to be fed several times a day in small amounts, or just once a day?
If you have hatchlings who are not feeding i would be inclined to up the volume of food, if you add some light aeration it will help keep the food moving and encourage them to feed. If I was using bbs i would clean and feed twice a day, though some people would recommend once a day.

LinkBack