The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Eggs or Spermatophores?

This is a discussion on Eggs or Spermatophores? within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Okay so I've had my axolotl for almost 3 months and I was wondering how long an axolotl will lay ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By jessicaanne
  • 1 Post By AlienFirefox

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th June 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jessicaanne has shown reliable knowledgejessicaanne has shown reliable knowledge
Default Eggs or Spermatophores?

Okay so I've had my axolotl for almost 3 months and I was wondering how long an axolotl will lay eggs after mating?

I've assumed my axolotl was a she since the day I got her and I've just noticed a pile of round white 'things' and surprisingly as I'm writing this, she has eaten whatever they were however I did manage to collect one that wasn't in the pile. I was thinking that if they were eggs, there would be A LOT more than 5 but then again she could've laid them earlier and I've come in the room to find what's left.. THEN there's the option that she's actually a he and they were spermatophores. As I mentioned, I have only managed to get 1 of these things and if a photo is needed to clarify what it is then I will post one tomorrow.

(If anyone has photo's of both eggs and/or spermatophores I'd love to see them so I can compare!)

jessicaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 24
Comments: 3
Rep: Martin21114 has given consistently good advice and informationMartin21114 has given consistently good advice and informationMartin21114 has given consistently good advice and informationMartin21114 has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Eggs or Spermatophores?

that sounds like sperm not eggs, eggs usually come in the hundreds and are clear.

Martin21114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: kiathepooch has shown reliable knowledge

These are eggs Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11th June 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jessicaanne has shown reliable knowledgejessicaanne has shown reliable knowledge

Okay thanks for that, they definitely weren't eggs going by that picture haha I wasn't aware that they laid their eggs hours/days from the time they pick the spermatophore up so I probably should have searched that first but I was a bit excited to be honest

Awww so now my little girl is in fact a little boy. He's just not showing his little man bits yet

jessicaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: AlienFirefox is an unknown quantity at this point

Remember if you have a female albino axolotl the eggs will be like that but white. A male axie has a large pouch behind its back legs and the female axie has a much smaller pouch. there are no man bits. theres about 100 perverted commenst i can think of typing here but im really not going too.

AlienFirefox is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack