The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Quite a surprise to come home to...

This is a discussion on Quite a surprise to come home to... within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; So roughly a week ago I found spermatophores in my tank for the first time. I was excited at the ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th June 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Shaun6685 has started on the right path
Default Quite a surprise to come home to...

So roughly a week ago I found spermatophores in my tank for the first time. I was excited at the prospect of possibly having some babies, but the females seemed pretty uninterested in the males. I was beginning to lose hope that I'd see babies anytime soon.

Fast forward to today. I got out of work tonight and arrived home a little bit after 8pm. I came upstairs to check on my CRS, one of which just had babies. After staring at my tank for a few minutes, unable to spot any of the shrimplets, I turned my attention to my axolotl tank... Both of my males were going absolutely nuts! I watched them go after one of my females for a minute or two, and as they moved around the tank I noticed a lot of spermatophores... and something that looked entirely different. Then I look up... there are albino eggs EVERYWHERE. As I type this, my golden albino is still laying eggs, poor girl looks exhausted.

Though I'm excited about this, I'm more hopeful about my other female... my COPPER female. She is normally wandering about the tank, following me around and watching me intently. Right now she is just being lazy in the plants and looking quite plump. I don't think she has laid any eggs yet, but her behavior is very similar to my golden female, who finally seems to be taking a rest in one of the hides. I suppose it's possible that they both laid eggs, given that they are both albino... but I'm pretty sure it was just the one. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Shaun6685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: tusken raider has started on the right path
Default Re: Quite a surprise to come home to...

Awesome you got to see it, i have seen my tetras in my community tank spawn twice since i got them and its exciting to watch. Cant imagine what it would be like for axolotls good luck hatching and raising them.

tusken raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: squishyjaws12 has shown reliable knowledge

If you are interested in rehoming any of those eggs I am deffinitely interested in some

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

squishyjaws12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Shaun6685 has started on the right path
Default **UPDATE** Re: Quite a surprise to come home to...

So here's an update... I get home from work about a half hour ago and come check on my axolotls. My assumption was right... my copper is laying eggs as we speak. So now I have two separate clutches all mixed together, and they're all albino eggs. I really wish I had collected the eggs last night now, I have no way of knowing which is which. I'm also fairly certain that both males had laid down spermatophores, so I guess it could be possible that both males are the fathers of both clutches. This should be interesting...

Shaun6685 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack