The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

How to synthesize breeding season?

This is a discussion on How to synthesize breeding season? within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I'd like some more eggs from my breeding pair, but I realize it's not breeding season right now. Is there ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th June 2012   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: DeCypher has shown reliable knowledge
Default How to synthesize breeding season?

I'd like some more eggs from my breeding pair, but I realize it's not breeding season right now. Is there a way to synthesize breeding season? I'd rather not wait til December, I need a breeding project to keep me busy in the summer.

Old 26th June 2012   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: How to synthesize breeding season?

I realize this is not the answer you are looking for, but i think itīs a point that needs to be made.
While it is possible to induce consecutive spawnings, doing so for selfish reasons is objectionable. The breeding season is determined by hormonal changes. Those hormonal circumstances are only possible given certain environmental conditions, but also, physiological ones (both are essential, one without the other wonīt work). It takes a lot of energy and resources. It takes a heavy toll and not just on fat reserves.
Given that domestic axolotls tend to breed easily and do so in consecutive waves, even if environmental conditions are not "perfect" (and this is the important point, because they are not restricted to breeding in a specific season), it seems to me that if your animals have stopped reproducing, it may well be a matter of physiology. In other words, they may have stopped breeding because continuing to do so is not physiologically "wise".
Captive conditions usually allow them to produce very large spawnings and for longer periods than would otherwise be normal, as well as at almost any time of the year, simply because resources are abundant and constant. There is a limit, though, and hormonal chains will regulate themselves to become inhibited when that limit (either physiological or environmental) is achieved.
Inducing more spawnings could result in problems, like the depletion of certain reserves, leading to metabolic disorders, shortened lifespans, etc...

In short, if they could afford to reproduce, they would do so, as long as environmental conditions are not too restrictive, which is unlikely for domestic axolotls in normal housing conditions. If they arenīt, and you force more spawnings, it will have consequences, and since iīm sure you love your animals and want the best for them, you should be able to sacrifice your desire for entertainment in favor of the health and well-being of your animals.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I understand what you mean. I just removed their tank divider yesterday (it had been there since winter), so even if they wanted to breed I don't think they could, haha. I don't believe they are in bad health, judging by their good weight and active lifestyles. I don't mind letting them breed when they want to, I can wait.
Thank you for your input. I guess I forgot about that part of breeding.

Old 26th June 2012   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 7
Rep: Coastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Mine lay eggs twice a year. One large spawn in the spring and second smaller one late in the summer and I do nothing but feed them worms and leave them to a natural light cycle.

Old 26th June 2012   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Same here, with the worms and lighting. I unfortunately have to keep my Axolotls separated in the summer and fall.. As huge as their tank is and as many hiding spots as they do, they still somehow manage to nip eachother.

Old 26th June 2012   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

In that case, if environmental and physiological conditions allow, they will breed on their own. They really are not picky as far as environmental conditions go...

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Well I guess I'll see what happens!

LinkBack