The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Rearing axalotls from eggs

This is a discussion on Rearing axalotls from eggs within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I have read all the posts but still need help. I am on my 3rd go with eggs and all ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd July 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: elaina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rearing axalotls from eggs

I have read all the posts but still need help. I am on my 3rd go with eggs and all my babies are dead! again.
I seem to get a good hatch rate - but things go wrong after that. For the first 2 lots we did not realise they needed live food so the poor things starved to death! For the third lot we fed live a lot of live daphnia every 2nd or third day - is that often enough?
We bought the daphnia from local aquaria shops, the water also contained mosquito larvae and what looked like tiny little transparent shrimps. Is the health status of this type of live food good enough?
What about water changes? we did this 3 times a week - we had to start with, @ 70 hatchlings in a 30cm by 20cm tank with about 6cm depth of water (with an aerator set quite low). We used tap water that had been allowed to mature in an open container for at least 48 hours.
What is the best way to remove and add water without disturbing them too much?
I am trying to raise them in a school - so they are on their own at weekends, but the person who supplied me with the eggs is in the same situation and has more luck with her babies - has got one survivor out of 100!
Also what about lighting? - they are in a quiet cool store room which has very small windows so it is fairly dim in there (not completely dark) - except when we go in and turn on the lights - would this bother them?
Lastly we only found about 15 bodies - so what happened to the rest?
Any help would be much appreciated.

elaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Rearing axalotls from eggs

Have you seen this article on raising axolotl?

Axolotls - Rearing from Egg to Adult

My initial thought is that maybe the daphnia my be too big for the larvae?
I would also maybe try raising less in the same size container.. I am wondering if so many larvae in that space may be too much? I would be expecting to do daily water changes with that quantity. If the live food is staying alive, maybe partial water changes will be fine.

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Dr0gr1n has given consistently good advice and informationDr0gr1n has given consistently good advice and informationDr0gr1n has given consistently good advice and information

When feeding bbs I fed my 30 larvae 2 times a day. You should be feeding just enough for them to gourge themselves in 15 minutes or so then 8-12 or so hours later feed them again for the evening.

I changed their water every day. I also had an air hose so the water moved slightly.

I would suction out the dead bbs and poo on the bottom of the tank and most all of the water and top off the container with fresh water.

When feeding live food like daphnia and mosquito larva you may be running into an issue where they have eaten all that is the right size leaving only the larger food that will not fit in their mouths.

I would suggest using the daphnia on weekends since they will stay alive over the 2-3 day weekend and bbs during the week.

The bodies of the dead at that stage can conpletely disintegrate in a few days if you are not watching close

Good luck.

Old 3rd July 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: elaina is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Yes that was useful thank you. I think we are going to have to practise rearing bbs first and feed those next time with daphnia at the weekends as you suggested. We were syphoning the water out then pouring fresh in slowly down the side with a jug - is that OK? Also is tap water matured over time - 48 hours good enough? Also our water is very hard.
We have read the aforementioned article which is very helpful.

elaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mizzerman has shown reliable knowledge

Raising BBS very easy, i got my bbs hatcheries on ebay for pretty cheap, as well as my bbs eggs, I had four hatcheries going alternately so i would always have food available. I did an almost 100% water change daily by just pouring out the old water and pouring in new water that has sat for 48hours, no airstone. We have pretty hard water here too(well water) so I usually bring pails of water home from work (town water). i had about 75% hatch rate and about 75% of those are still alive. I agree that the other creature in your daphnia may be eating the smaller daphnia or chewing on your axolotls (especially if there are dragonfly larva in there but I imagine other insect larva may feast on axolotl larva)

mizzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: melr70 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,
I would suggest trying to raise maybe ten. In your situation you're going to struggle with water quality I think. The most important thing with these guys, other than making sure they have enough to eat, is water quality. I changed 100 per cent of the water each day and feed BBS for the first month or so and then moved onto daphnia. It's really easy to see when they're full as the BBS are an orange colour. I've never used any kind of aerator with mine, think they're more trouble than they're worth, but I know some people do use them. We have really hard water here too, it also smells quite strongly of chlorine so I always used dechlorinator.

melr70 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack