The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Strange Behaviour

This is a discussion on Strange Behaviour within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I just woke up and came downstairs to get a drink and noticed two of my axies were acting very ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th July 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: DeniseD has started on the right path
Default Strange Behaviour

I just woke up and came downstairs to get a drink and noticed two of my axies were acting very strange, they were circling each other and kept pushing up each others tails, it almost seemed panicked. Toothless'(who I assumed was female until now) cloacal region was swollen and she/he seemed to be, this is going to sound strange, wagging her/his tail? She/he also seemed to be getting as close to the sand as possible and backing up at times. Falcor also has a swollen cloacal area but is acting more normal.

Is this breeding behaviour? It has me worried but all the parameters are normal and a water change was done earlier today with the usual dechlorinated water.
Any suggestions?

DeniseD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: millerj76 has given consistently good advice and informationmillerj76 has given consistently good advice and informationmillerj76 has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Strange Behaviour

Sounds like one of your axolotls is feeling a bit 'horny'. My axolotls rub up against each other and nudge each other shortly before mating, have you noticed any white stuff(sperm) in the tank, if so and if you have male female axolotls,you may notice one of the axolotls(the male) pushing the female over the sperm, this would be normal behaviour and you may possibly have a bunch of eggs in a few days.

millerj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: DeniseD has started on the right path
Default Re: Strange Behaviour

Didn't notice any spermatophores in the tank. They seem to be back to normal today. I'm more so confused because they seem to be reaching sexual maturity and are both showing larger cloacal regions but not as big as most pictures I've seen so I'm unsure of their sex. They love to be together but should I seperate them to prevent premature mating?

DeniseD is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack