The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Bloodworms

This is a discussion on Bloodworms within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi I was wondering at what age can my Axolotl have defrosted bloodworms they were born on the 13th Oct...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st October 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: caritas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bloodworms

Hi

I was wondering at what age can my Axolotl have defrosted bloodworms they were born on the 13th Oct

caritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Neil C has given consistently good advice and informationNeil C has given consistently good advice and informationNeil C has given consistently good advice and informationNeil C has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Bloodworms

Probably still a little too young but you could always finely chop some up and see if they will eat them? Be warned they are very messy and you'll have to do a water change soon after even if they eat them all.

Regards Neil

Neil C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 28
Comments: 3
Rep: NeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and information

I agree with Neil, probably still a little too tiny for bloodworms! As said you could try chopping them but it WILL be messy and may go unnoticed. Live daphnia or baby brine shrimp are your best bet at this stage, they'll probably be more inclined to eat bloodworm when they hit 2 1/2 - 3 inches in length.

Old 31st October 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: caritas is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks they are having Live Daphina at the moment they eat them pretty fast not sure if i am giving them enough i go by if i can't see any swimming i put some more in

caritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: wandering is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgwandering is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgwandering is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgwandering is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgwandering is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Hi there, I have 12 that have their back legs and are maybe 2 inches that are eating defrosted bloodworm happily but a smaller one without its back legs yet that won't take them. Tried it with with a grindal worm and it spat it out. I have given it micro worm but can't tell if its eating them. Just got some daphnia today. Not seen it eat one of them either. It has not grown in the past week like the others. Meanwhile the bigger ones snap at the pipette like they're starving. And I'm feeding them twice every day 2 to 4 bloodworms each, individually offered on the end of the pipette. They don't eat any that fall to the floor. No idea if that's normal.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

wandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: layna has given good advice and informationlayna has given good advice and informationlayna has given good advice and information

My little fella has his front legs and has buds for his back legs, he eats around 2 a day but it took around 4days of realising there wouldn't be anymore daphnia before he would try them. Also I've noticed when he poops, it looks like it did going in? Is this right or is he not digesting them?

If you like my advice, please add to my reputation so others know im helpful
layna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: AxieMama has shown reliable knowledge

At this age I gave mine chopped live blackworm...even though chopped, they still continue to wriggle and clump for days! They are only like a mm thick, so nice and small

AxieMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 2
Rep: frogman has given consistently good advice and informationfrogman has given consistently good advice and informationfrogman has given consistently good advice and information

My larvae stopped eating micro foods at about 2 weeks. Now they are all eating frozen bloodworms and are mostly under an inch in length.

frogman is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack