The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Leucistic X Melanoid offspring question

This is a discussion on Leucistic X Melanoid offspring question within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I have eggs growing from a Leucistic Male and Melanoid female does anyone know the potential for the babies? When ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By layna
  • 1 Post By Kaysie
  • 1 Post By Kaysie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th November 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: klaydogz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leucistic X Melanoid offspring question

I have eggs growing from a Leucistic Male and Melanoid female does anyone know the potential for the babies? When he fathered eggs with a female leucistic they were all leucistic and a handful of the speckled, freckled babies. Is there any way of knowing what the potential for the babies are? I think I read lavender was a possibility. Light melanoid? Melanoid? Just curious . I am trying to understand genetics, Where as with reptiles I understand them pretty well but Lotl genetics seem a bit more confusing.

klaydogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: layna has given good advice and informationlayna has given good advice and informationlayna has given good advice and information
Default Re: Leucistic X Melanoid offspring question

You will most likely get a mixture but in order to specifically breed a certain type i think you have to know the grandparents genetics too (if i remember correctly haha)
So you wont really be able to guess until you know the grandparents type or they hatch and grow

If you like my advice, please add to my reputation so others know im helpful
layna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: PatchworkClocks is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone else asked a similar question regarding genetics on this thread here: Breeding and Genetics

PatchworkClocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

It's hard to tell, as these two genes don't overlap (they don't mix like paint).

Leucistic axolotls have the genotype (d/d), producing 'light' individuals. If you breed two animals that have the same recessive genes, you'll get 100% recessive offspring.

Melanoid axolotls are (m/m), producing melanoid individuals.

Assuming your leucistic is not melanoid, it's genotype (M/x). If it's a recessive carrier (M/m), you would get 50% melanoid offspring with a melanoid individual. If it's dominant (M/M), you will get no melanoids.

Likewise, your melanoid is (D/x). If it's (D/d), and you breed with a leucistic, you'll get 50% 'light' individuals (leucistic or possibly albino if both are carriers of recessive albino). If the melanoid is D/D, you'll get all 'dark' offspring (wildtype, or golden albino if they carry albinism).

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: klaydogz is an unknown quantity at this point

I could not find anything that discussed Melanoid genetics . That covered everything else. In my experiences over the last 30 plus years with animals the darker color has always been dominant. Like a color wheel. So this is fascinating to me as all of that goes out the window. I have read a lot of discussions on axolotl genetics but the melanoids are least mentioned. I will say I have some really black larvae and some almost gray ones at day 6. Not that it means anything.

klaydogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Melanoid is more like an 'overlay' for base colors, it augments the base color. You can have melanoid leucistics, melanoid albinos, melanoid normals, etc.

It's a simple recessive, so for an animal to be melanoid, it must receive a recessive gene from each parent.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl babies, genetics . leucistic, melanoid

LinkBack