The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

She's laying eggs again.....

This is a discussion on She's laying eggs again..... within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; My little wildtype is laying again! I picked up what I thought was a spermatophore when I did the water ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By auntiejude

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd December 2013   #1 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default She's laying eggs again.....

My little wildtype is laying again!

I picked up what I thought was a spermatophore when I did the water change last week, and thought nothing of it when I didn't have eggs by the weekend.
But Pepper has just started laying, she's off her food, and is wagging her tail like a puppy. I was hoping it would be one of the other girls this time, and I think Pepper will desrve a rest after this batch - I may have to move her to her own tank until spring.

I am starting to wonder if my male is related to the other 2 and knows it, and won't court them - deos anyone have any evidence to say siblings instinctively won't mate? I know its probable that they are related as they came from the same breeder.
Old 23rd December 2013   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: usafaux2004 has shown reliable knowledgeusafaux2004 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: She's laying eggs again.....

Maybe it's an age thing? Are all the same age?size?
usafaux2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013   #3 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Yeah, all the same age (approx 12 months) all 9-10".

There are other spermatophores in the tank, but Red has not been chasing the other girls. He didn't last time, I think the girls ate the spermatophores though (eeew gross!)
Old 23rd December 2013   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: usafaux2004 has shown reliable knowledgeusafaux2004 has shown reliable knowledge

Color behaviour? There's always talk of wilds snapping at non wilds more in the cannabalist age. Maybe like prefers like? Or opposite? Who knows. Lol
usafaux2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013   #5 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafaux2004 View Post
Color behaviour? There's always talk of wilds snapping at non wilds more in the cannabalist age. Maybe like prefers like? Or opposite? Who knows. Lol
Nah, I just think my wildtype female is more of a tart than the other 2 ....
Old 24th December 2013   #6 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:

Ok, just collected the eggs (mama was munching on them) and had a count up - well over 650! And probably more to come...

Not a huge number, but my Pepper is a tiny little thng!
Old 24th December 2013   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: digitalxri0t has shown reliable knowledge

Should also consider that they mature at different rates even if theyre the same age. Could just be the other two aren't ready. But who really knows, until we get into their neat little brains we can only guess. Nice haul though!
Old 25th December 2013   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: lovesheraxies has started on the right path

All 3 of mine are related from the same clutch and they impregnated Penny 3 times in less than two months. One of my best friends ended up with eggs the other day, hers are related as well. She wasn't expecting it because her female is very young, not even a year old yet. The male has been transferred to another tank and thankfully the little girl seems to be doing fine.
lovesheraxies is offline   Reply With Quote