The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Feeding Stages for Hatchlings

This is a discussion on Feeding Stages for Hatchlings within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I have been compiling information from multiple posts and articles trying to make a timeline of food to feed once ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By auntiejude

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st April 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: HannahMarie is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Feeding Stages for Hatchlings

I have been compiling information from multiple posts and articles trying to make a timeline of food to feed once my eggs hatch. So this is what I have:

First Month: BBS, Daphnia/Moina, (microworms? mixed info about that)
After 1 month (about 1" long hatchlings): Chopped blackworms, Whiteworms
At 2": Earthworms?
Once legs develop: Can begin frozen/pellet food

I really appreciate any additions or corrections to the list :)

HannahMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2014   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Kaini has given good advice and informationKaini has given good advice and informationKaini has given good advice and information
Default Re: Feeding Stages for Hatchlings

At around 2 inches/2 months you should switch them to frozen bloodworms. Frozen bloodworms remain the staple for juveniles then as adults they switch to Earthworms, which are a great staple diet. Pellets aren't necessary if you're feeding earthworms, but can be offered to supplement the earthworms.

Old 21st April 2014   #3 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

They require live food for the first 4-6 weeks, anything that is small enough to fit in their mouth is fine - BBS for the first 3-4 weeks, then daphnia/moina or small live bloodworms. Blackworms, whiteworms, microworms etc all fine.

Then onto small worms once they get front legs - I usually mix live and frozen bloodworm for a couple of days, then they get the idea and can move onto frozen bloodworm.

Once they have back legs and their mouths are big enough for earthworms (2"+) you can move them on. I use chopped small earthworms to start, and alternate bloodworm and earthworm.

I haven't had much luck with pellets and babies, but don't let that stop you giving it a go.

You need to figure out what works for your babies and your food supply - I can't seem to breed daphnia quick enough to feed my babies, and the local supply is naff, so I move to frozen bloodworm as soon as I can, then add earthworms for calcium as soon as they are big enough.

Old 21st April 2014   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

At 2" chopped worm is fine, just make sure its small enough for them to eat. They will also take 1 mm amphibian or trout pellets.

Tags
axolotl, axolotl babies, feeding, hatchlings

LinkBack