The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Golden Albino x Wild eggs developmental progress

This is a discussion on Golden Albino x Wild eggs developmental progress within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; To my great surprise this morning when I went to feed the babes, I found their first ever cluster of ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sassafras

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd April 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Sassafras is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Golden Albino x Wild eggs developmental progress

To my great surprise this morning when I went to feed the babes, I found their first ever cluster of eggs! Thanks mom for laying them over every plant in your tank! Sure makes moving them easier! Haha... not.

Anyways, I thought it would be fun to post pictures of a few of them growing each day.
This is also my first time rearing eggs, so let me know if you have any concerns that I should be aware of.

Mom (Normandy) is a 7" wild type and dad (Peut-Etre) is an 8" Golden Albino, both a bit over a year old. I'm hoping for a good variety of baby types, but what should I really be expecting?

Click the image to open in full size.

Sassafras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Golden Albino x Wild eggs developmental progress

Do you know what the parents of your axies are? If so it may be possible to make an educated guess.
If not there is no way to tell what the babies will be, but I would say some if not lots of wildtypes - probably aroynd 50%+.

How many are you intending to raise?

Old 22nd April 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiejude View Post
Do you know what the parents of your axies are? If so it may be possible to make an educated guess.
If not there is no way to tell what the babies will be, but I would say some if not lots of wildtypes - probably aroynd 50%+.

How many are you intending to raise?
I'm not sure what the parents are. I bought the two not intending to ever put them together but they just ended up doing really well. So I never asked the gal I bought them from about parents.

Also, I read about culling eggs but I'm not sure how many to cull or how to pick the ones to cull. So I'm not sure. But I know I have to make the decision in 5 days.

Old 23rd April 2014   #4 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

By day 3 or 4 there will be a subtle shape change, from round to slightly flattened. Keep as many of those as you want to raise - if you're just doing it for the experience I'd suggest a dozen or 20 or so - and sell or freeze the rest.

As for what type the babies will be, its going to be a case of wait and see!

Old 24th April 2014   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Day two: no major changes in the majority of the eggs, but you can see one starting to flatten!

Old 24th April 2014   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Talking Re: Golden Albino x Wild eggs developmental progress

Day 3: More egg flattening! One egg I've been monitoring, only because it was whiter than the others, has shaped up the most out of the whole group! It's reminding me now of a year ago when the parents were just babes they grow up so fast. There's a picture of the eggs and a happy little Nori and a happy big Nori
Attached Thumbnails
Golden Albino x Wild eggs developmental progress-screen-shot-2014-04-24-9.45.21-am.png   Golden Albino x Wild eggs developmental progress-screen-shot-2014-04-24-9.45.11-am.png   Golden Albino x Wild eggs developmental progress-screen-shot-2014-04-23-11.55.16-pm.png   Golden Albino x Wild eggs developmental progress-screen-shot-2014-04-23-11.54.58-pm.png  

Old 25th April 2014   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Day 4: I culled 65 of the dud eggs and it feels like I hardly made a dent in the population, so I'm going to go for an official count later today. The majority are developing like champions!
Attached Thumbnails
Golden Albino x Wild eggs developmental progress-screen-shot-2014-04-25-9.22.46-am.png   Golden Albino x Wild eggs developmental progress-screen-shot-2014-04-25-9.22.35-am.png  

Old 28th April 2014   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

Day 7: they're beginning to move sporadically, which according to the Embryo Photo Log on axolotl.org, is a couple days ahead of schedule, correct? If so I'm anticipating the approximate hatching days to be between May 1-4.

I've also counted them. 582 total, 74 dud or deceased, 508 growing and living.

Attached is also a picture of what will be the hatchery. I'll be putting the third middle tier back in once they hatch so I can separate them by size when the time comes, but I wanted to get some feedback on the system thus far.

Attached Thumbnails
Golden Albino x Wild eggs developmental progress-img_2542.jpg  

Old 30th April 2014   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: lQdALPHA is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow firstly congrats.
Also how exciting :)
please keep updating!

lQdALPHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2014   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

I'm anticipating to see some hatching tomorrow

Old 5th May 2014   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: HannahMarie is an unknown quantity at this point

Those little guys are growing fast!
I think that hatchery set up is completely GENIUS! I may have to copy that idea, I'm all about vertical storage in my little apartment :) Let me know how it goes! Always love getting to know more Washington axie lovers!

HannahMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: zeet is an unknown quantity at this point

JUST A QUICK QUESTION, WHEN DID YOU NOTICE THE BABIES MOVING INSIDE THE EGG. MINE ARE LIKE TINNY LITTLE C SHAPES AND OTHERS ARE STILL ROUND, DO THEY MOVE BEFORE HATCHING OUT.

zeet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl babies, development, eggs, hatching

LinkBack