The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Identifying types of albino

This is a discussion on Identifying types of albino within the Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; A question for members more versed on Axolotl genetics than I am: how do you tell a white albino, a ...

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th October 2014   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Kaini has given good advice and informationKaini has given good advice and informationKaini has given good advice and information
Default Identifying types of albino

A question for members more versed on Axolotl genetics than I am: how do you tell a white albino, a melanoid albino, and an axanthic albino apart? I recently 'rescued' (in quotes because I did pay for it) a very small albino from a local pet store and I'm curious as to what I should call it, morph wise.

Pictures attached: it doesn't seem to have any iridophores, at least not that I can see.

Note: It is missing limbs because it was being kept in a tiny jar with another juvenile. It also has a fluid-filled lump on its head, and I am aware of it and monitoring. It eats well.
Attached Thumbnails
Identifying types of albino-img_5616.jpg   Identifying types of albino-img_5554.jpg   Identifying types of albino-img_5570.jpg  

Old 13th October 2014   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Identifying types of albino

It is very difficult to tell the difference between the different types of white albino without knowing thier parentage.

A leucistic axolotl may have a small number of xanthaphores on their head or spine, and you might be able to see iriophores around its eyes.

A melanoid and axanthic albino are so similar you really can't tell, since both genotypes exhibit the same characteristics.

However, it is believed that the axanthic gene is relatively rare, so given a white albino without iridophores around its eyes I would go with melanoid.

So check its eyes - shiney ring = leucistc, no ring = probably melanoid.

Old 13th October 2014   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Kaini has given good advice and informationKaini has given good advice and informationKaini has given good advice and information
Default Re: Identifying types of albino

Ah, I was afraid of that. It's hard to see its eyes (especially now that its in the temp. bin tank) so I suppose I'll find out as it grows up! Thank you auntiejude.

Tags
albino, axolotl, morph

LinkBack