The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Wildtype Color Change!

This is a discussion on Wildtype Color Change! within the Axolotl Gallery forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; After my leucistic axolotl, Frankie, got sick (she has since recovered) Gunther changed color! At first it really freaked me ...

Axolotl Gallery Post photos of axolotls and set-ups.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th July 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: franktank is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wildtype Color Change!

After my leucistic axolotl, Frankie, got sick (she has since recovered) Gunther changed color! At first it really freaked me out because Frankie had just gotten some skin irritation and the sudden gold patches on what I thought was a melanoid really freaked me out. But their old owner said it was fine and that his wildtype changed color sometimes as well. I did some more research and found out Gunther was a wildtype. The pictures don't do her justice, but I'll try to get some better ones. The second photo is before her color change.
Attached Thumbnails
Wildtype Color Change!-photo-1.jpg   Wildtype Color Change!-photo-2.jpg   Wildtype Color Change!-photo-4.jpg   Wildtype Color Change!-pphoto-2.jpg  

franktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: SimoneB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wildtype Color Change!

It is very common for wildtype axolotls to change color. Actually i think every wildtype axolotl tends to become darker with time. My wild axolotls were literally covered on gold flecks when they were younger but now they are slowly getting darker/disappearing

SimoneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Genny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wildtype Color Change!

So beautiful! I love the change, reminds me of Mrs Crusoe, my Bristlenose Plec, she changes colour all the time from light mottled brown to jet black. I love Gunther, the patches almost look like tree lichen, so wonderful! :)

Genny is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack