The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Harlequin axolotl

This is a discussion on Harlequin axolotl within the Axolotl Gallery forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Does anyone have any pics of harlequin axolotls? Cheryl...

Axolotl Gallery Post photos of axolotls and set-ups.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By sharn
  • 1 Post By ian
  • 1 Post By michael

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2006   #1 (permalink)
cheryl

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Does anyone have any pics of harlequin axolotls?

Cheryl
Old 3rd February 2006   #2 (permalink)
jojo

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Heya Cheryl!
Isnt a harlequin a bird?
Im guessing a "harlequin axie" is a particular colour????

*** confused **
Old 3rd February 2006   #3 (permalink)
cheryl

Gallery Images:
Comments:

yeah. i keep reading about these rare "harlequin", or multi-coloured axies, but cant actually find any pics- im curious Click the image to open in full size.
Old 3rd February 2006   #4 (permalink)
jojo

Gallery Images:
Comments:

hmmmm... ive never seen nor heard anything like it.

Anyone else?
Old 3rd February 2006   #5 (permalink)
apryl

Gallery Images:
Comments:

This is a pibald I bid for on trademe(but missed out onClick the image to open in full size.) I think they are also called harlequin,could be wrong tho...
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 3rd February 2006   #6 (permalink)
sharn

Gallery Images:
Comments:

i very much doubt thats a piebald... its a plain old leucistic with heavy patterning. harlequins/piebalds are very rare and i dont think anyones been able to breed them. do a search for 'Chance' on here. hes a lovely piebald... the lady that owns him tried to breed off him but only got normal offspring. if you cant find the pic i have one i kept on my puter i can post, the ladys name excapes me sadly..
Old 3rd February 2006   #7 (permalink)
cheryl

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I found a post here- http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/985/5617.html

pretty cool.
Old 3rd February 2006   #8 (permalink)
sharn

Gallery Images:
Comments:

yeah thats chance i think! ill upload my pic i stole lol, hope sara doesnt mind!Click the image to open in full size.
Old 3rd February 2006   #9 (permalink)
amanda

Gallery Images:
Comments:

For christmas my mom got me the 1981 version of Axolotls by Peter W. Scott. On the cover is a lovely picture of a harelquin axie. I found a copy of it for sale on ebay if you want to see what the axie looks like.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
Old 4th February 2006   #10 (permalink)
jojo

Gallery Images:
Comments:

omg! NO WAY - thats awesome!
Weird, but a beauty!
Thanks for that Sharn!
You too Amanda! Ive never seen these in the flesh though Click the image to open in full size. - it'd be interesting
Old 4th February 2006   #11 (permalink)
theresa

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Very interesting and a cool variation..! Thanks!
Old 8th May 2006   #12 (permalink)
ian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hello
harlequins axolotls are a subject that i am asked about with some frequency,i have been keeping and breeding axolotls all of my life,harlequins/pieds fall into two catogories either stunning and rather unappealing to look at, my strain came from Dougie Paul who provided the specimen for the front cover of Peter Scotts 1981 book, they are gametic this means they do breed true, there exists a genetic depression how ever a decent example is amazing to see. The lucistic example shown above is as has been highlighted an advanced melanin lucistic, but oddly still conforms to a harlequin/pied, there are or has been several recorded strains of harlequins in the last few decades but few people have bothered to study them, i do have a considerable amount of data on harlequins/pieds and many other mutations which i am happy to give people access to, however a word of advice you are all welcome to view it but i will withdraw all info if this is used for ANY commercial purposes, the offers there.
Old 9th May 2006   #13 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Hi Ian,
I think harlequin axolotl would be a great idea for an article for the caudat.org magazine. It is a downloadable magazine that is free.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006   #14 (permalink)
coffo

Gallery Images:
Comments:

ide love to learn more about these types of axalotl ive never seen anything like it until now
(actually i remember some1 having a brown axie with yellow spots in theyre display pic)
Old 11th May 2006   #15 (permalink)
karen

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Cool ! Does anyone have any more pics ? This is the only one i have seen ..

Tags
axolotl, harlequin

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 16th September 2014, 03:15 (Set) (Clear)

Aqua, Kokiron