The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

For sale or adoption in Christchurch New Zealand

This is a discussion on For sale or adoption in Christchurch New Zealand within the FS: Australia or New Zealand forums, part of the For Sale, Give-Away or Trade category; Hi I have a small story to tell before I get to the point of this post. Sorry for the ...

FS: Australia or New Zealand This section exists due to the large number of Australians and New Zelanders UK who are Caudata.org users. Too right!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th November 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jayphil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default For sale or adoption in Christchurch New Zealand

Hi

I have a small story to tell before I get to the point of this post. Sorry for the length

I noticed my local pet store (a not very good one at all) was selling axolotls and this is the first I have ever seen them advertised in Christchurch so I went in to look and after talking to the staff member I decided to buy one. She claimed they were pretty low maintenance and hardy pets which is ideal for myself. I decided to take the smallest, youngest most beaten up looking one as I thought he would do best to be purchased asap due to his condition (ragged tail with chunks out of it, stunted growth in one of his legs, skinny and gills almost down to stubs). It was pretty obvious he was a target to the three bigger guys in the tank.
Anyway I thought I was doing a good thing, got him, spent hundreds on a brand new set up and everything he needed, got home to do more research so I could make him more comfortable and discovered not only had the pet shop not told me much of anything helpful but I am not cut out to be an axolotls parent. I'm not home enough to do water changes when he needs them, I'm not here to monitor his growth and recovery and I can't afford the testers for the water chemicals etc right now.

I thought I was doing good and I haven't. He needs to be with someone that has the knowledge and patience to look after his needs until all his parts grow back and he is okay again. It makes me sad that I'm not that person and I worry for him every day

So here he is, up for adoption by himself or for sale with the rest of the stuff I have.

His name is Gomez, he is black ish (I think wild type perhaps), about 15cm long and between 4-5 months old. He is active and curious, eats well and has just started pooping regularly after a long constipation (from the pet shop). I have had him for 4 weeks.
He has chunks out of his tail fin, his front leg is smaller than the other and his gills are stumpy but the frills are growing back.

If you would like to buy the whole thing together, you get the things as follows:
Gomez
70L glass tank
2 rocks
2 pieces of slate
new aquarium sand
A Buddha statue that he likes to perch on
Filter
Heater
Frozen bloodworms
Net
Water chemicals (tap water conditioner and good bacteria)
Algae glass scrubber
Food pallets
Thermometer
Ammonia and ph alert tags

You can have it all for $150 so long as you can pick it up or live in Christchurch so I can drop it to you (petrol money wouldn't go amiss)

If you know anyone that would like a young fella, please let me know

Thanks, sorry this was long

jayphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 14
Rep: AshSeek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: For sale or adoption in Christchurch New Zealand

Please make sure that you do not have the heater in the tank with Gomez, they need cooler water like no more than 72 degrees fahrenheit.. the colder the better

Goodluck finding him a home :)

AshSeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: jayphil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: For sale or adoption in Christchurch New Zealand

ashseek i got him a heater for winter in case it snowed again, i didnt want his tank to get frosty - i was thinking long term at the time. havent even taken it out of the box so no need to worry

thankyou for the luck :)

jayphil is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack