The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

FS: Italian Alpine Newts (juvies)

This is a discussion on FS: Italian Alpine Newts (juvies) within the FS: USA forums, part of the For Sale, Give-Away or Trade category; Available offspring from my small breeding group of Italian Alpine newts who laid eggs back in December. The oldest babies ...

FS: USA For US Caudata.org users wishing to sell/give away/trade within the US.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th May 2010   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: SnakeDancer has given good advice and informationSnakeDancer has given good advice and informationSnakeDancer has given good advice and information
Default FS: Italian Alpine Newts (juvies)

Available offspring from my small breeding group of Italian Alpine newts who laid eggs back in December. The oldest babies have recently metamorphosed and are ready to go to new homes. Have got about 12 ready to go right now, with more on the way.

These are Triturus/Ichthyosaura alpestris apuanus, aquatic year-round and arguably the most beautiful Alpine subspecies. They are still tiny juvies, not yet sexable, but starting to get their amazing colors. I can take a guess in that the males probably show more color already, but cannot guarantee the sexes at this point. (I received their parents at about this same age and took a chance on a group of 3, who turned out to be a very prolific reverse trio. :) )

I can try taking some pics if desired, but my camera isn't that great and I don't know how well they will show up.

They are feeding enthusiastically on chopped blackworms and mosquito larvae.

Price is $35 each plus shipping (overnight shipping with tracking number and live-arrival guarantee, $50 flat rate throughout the Continental United States)

Will consider 1-for-1 trades for the following:

Triturus/Lissotriton vulgaris - Common European smooth newt
Tylototriton verrucosus - Himalayan newt

SnakeDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: monkeyfrogman28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: FS: Italian Alpine Newts (juvies)

Where are you located? ? ?

monkeyfrogman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: SnakeDancer has given good advice and informationSnakeDancer has given good advice and informationSnakeDancer has given good advice and information

I am in Ohio, and I go to the Columbus herp show usually every month. Would be happy to bring along some newts for anyone in the area, and spare them the stress of shipping. I *might* make the June Hamburg (PA) show this time, but that's still questionable.

Old 13th May 2010   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

To the person who sent me a private message interested in 4 of these guys ... I seem to have lost your message, it disappeared out of my inbox after I read it. Not sure how I managed that. Anyway, please re-send....

Old 18th May 2010   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Joe Blecha is an unknown quantity at this point

I was the one interested in 4 but it's a little out of my price range right now since I just bought books for the summer semester of college... bummer!

Cheers,
-Joe-

Joe Blecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: FRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and informationFRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and informationFRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and information

Hello, do you still have some?

FRANCOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: warrior has shown reliable knowledge

Are you serious about shipping?$50 is alot to pay shipping for,sounds like someone is over charging on shipping.Next day delivery is somewhere between $25 to $30.

warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010   #8 (permalink)
Uwe
(uwe)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: uwe has given consistently excellent advice and informationuwe has given consistently excellent advice and informationuwe has given consistently excellent advice and informationuwe has given consistently excellent advice and information

Hi,

these prices are outrages.

How is the status at the moment to send animals from EU to the US ate the moment?

If its ok to send, I would like to provide animals to the US-enthusiasts for 10 US$ each (plus shipping, app. 20$ EU--->US).

Uwe

uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe View Post
Hi,

these prices are outrages.

How is the status at the moment to send animals from EU to the US ate the moment?

If its ok to send, I would like to provide animals to the US-enthusiasts for 10 US$ each (plus shipping, app. 20$ EU--->US).

Uwe
Prices depend on supply and demand. There have been very few breeders offering any recently in the US. I don't think the price is so outrageous.

To ship legally from EU to US requires a lot of paperwork, inspections, etc. All the expenses would probably drive the price of the imported ones from $10 to >$35 anyway. Nice of you to offer, though. It's a pity that international shipping is so difficult.

Old 7th June 2010   #10 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

This is an advertisement for this persons newts. The price is o.k. They even offer to trade. Advertisements are monitored and approved by moderators. How does an advertisement get this far off track?

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010   #11 (permalink)
Uwe
(uwe)

Nationality:
Rep: uwe has given consistently excellent advice and informationuwe has given consistently excellent advice and informationuwe has given consistently excellent advice and informationuwe has given consistently excellent advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
This is an advertisement for this persons newts. The price is o.k. They even offer to trade. Advertisements are monitored and approved by moderators. How does an advertisement get this far off track?
Michael, this is no off track. I should be allowed to discuss prices in the subforum trade. This is the freedon, which should be allowed.

Uwe

Old 8th June 2010   #12 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11

Michael/Uwe, the comment about the shipping charge was originally made by a fellow American so perhaps it’s valid. I don’t see there being any harm in discussing shipping charges as the costs are relatively fixed. Discussing animal prices is dangerous, especially between continents. Whilst I. apuanus is very cheap to buy cb in the EU that doesn’t mean it is in the US.

The US opinion is that the animals are priced fairly and therefore requires no further analysis. If the original poster feels these comments are damaging their sales opportunities please inform me and I’ll get them edited out.

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010   #13 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Shipping costs are odd. If you want to guarantee next day before noon delivery 50.00 might be appropriate. If one were to take Uwe up on his offer of importing his 10.00 salamanders the license and import fees would be a minimum 250.00 to do it legally. If USFW requires a broker for the deal that would boost it up another 300.00 to 500.00. That's why most salamander imports are done through reptile companies as add ons or by questionable means.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010   #14 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Mac Myers has given good advice and informationMac Myers has given good advice and information

Michael Speaks the Truth.

Old 9th June 2010   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: FRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and informationFRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and informationFRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and information

I would rather pay $50 for shipping and have my animals arrive safe and "happy" than $25 to find a salamander boxed with zero insulation and as a result DOA.... if you want an example of horrible shipping, buy from reptilecity..... I am talking from experience.

FRANCOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2010   #16 (permalink)
Uwe
(uwe)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
Shipping costs are odd. If you want to guarantee next day before noon delivery 50.00 might be appropriate. If one were to take Uwe up on his offer of importing his 10.00 salamanders the license and import fees would be a minimum 250.00 to do it legally. If USFW requires a broker for the deal that would boost it up another 300.00 to 500.00. That's why most salamander imports are done through reptile companies as add ons or by questionable means.
Hi Michael,

If I understand right, there is a charge of at least $250 up to $750 on an import of animals with a value of about $150?

This is ridicolous and is described in one word: protectionism.

No wonder many US herpers just ask for mailing the animals without this highwaymanship.
But since 2001 its not advisable.

(BTW maybe this should be in an other thread)

Uwe

Old 13th June 2010   #17 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

I agree this should be in another thread, but if I were to move the posts, none of them would make any sense out of context. As Mark said, if SnakeDancer wants the posts that are irrelevant removed from the ad, we will delete them.

Old 24th June 2010   #18 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: dano is an unknown quantity at this point

Snakedancer, Could you contact me at ogrizekdan@gmail.com

dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010   #19 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: dano is an unknown quantity at this point

Snake dancer, If you have any left I would be interested in a small gr. You can contact me at ogrizekdan@gmail.com I can pick up.

dano is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack