The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Triturus Marmoratus larvae--11 available

This is a discussion on Triturus Marmoratus larvae--11 available within the FS: USA forums, part of the For Sale, Give-Away or Trade category; Hi, I am thinking that I need to divide my flock. My larvae are at the stage where I technically ...

FS: USA For US Caudata.org users wishing to sell/give away/trade within the US.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th April 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: esnailme has shown reliable knowledge
Default Triturus Marmoratus larvae--11 available

Hi,

I am thinking that I need to divide my flock. My larvae are at the stage where I technically have too many in a 5 gallon tank for my taste. I am not wanting to compromise the health of my babies.

I have 11 captive bred larvae available. I am parting with the most active and bigger babies.

I will keep the runts.

I am not asking for money for each. This would be terrible karma. I am asking to be reimbursed for shipping.

The recipient would have to have food available. I am currently feeding baby brine shrimp and 2 day old enriched brine shrimp. These guys will let you know when it is time to eat. You will get the glare....FEED ME SEYMOUR!!!!

They have so much personality.

Dawn thank you so much for my first experience of raising this wonderful species.

esnailme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Triturus Marmoratus larvae--11 available

OK but I think you should just offer them for pickup. Larvae don't travel well, they are delicate and easily injured in the jostling. Newts are best sent as eggs or as morphs (or, of course, as adults). Maybe you could just get another five, or even better, a ten gallon. It would really be best if they were not mailed.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Folks.......I jumped the gun. I am going to heed the advice of Dawn. Right now the larvae are a little over 3 weeks. I guesstimate they will morph at around 5-7 weeks old. This is not far off. At which time I will be ready to unleash these precious babies to those who responded provided you are still interested.
I would advise you to get your white worm, springtails and/or fruitfly cultures set up. It took a good 4-5 weeks for my white worms to catch. My fruitflies took 10-14 days. My spring tails took a good 6 weeks. Right now I have more than enough food to feed.....I just need some hungry babies.

I do not anticipate any more than 1 death out of 25. I have one larva that I will be removing from the bunch. I don't like the way he looks. This baby will definitely NOT be one that I would consider rehoming. I did not count this larvae as part of the bunch that will be leaving the nest.

Unless it is 105 degrees in the shade or I loose my entire group due to some mishap,,,,,which I do not anticipate, I will ready to ship as soon as these babies morph and start eating for me.

Thank you for the response......Just hold on and anticipate 5-7 weeks from now.

Old 30th April 2011   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 7
Rep: Molch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

you can use any small plastic tub or tray to house some larvae; you'd just have to change water daily. I raised my apuanus in 2-ga plastic bowls with water changes every evening and daily brine shrimp feedings.

Also, I don't think 20 or so young larvae is too crowded in a 5 ga, as long as you monitor water quality and provide some plants or hideouts. When they get bigger you could split them up.

I also wouldn't want to ship larvae - I'd doubt they'd make it alive.

Old 30th April 2011   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 7
Rep: Molch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

another thought: splitting them into more than one group is also a good idea from a backup-point of view; if anything goes wrong in one colony (bacterial outbreak, for example) and you have a die-off, you won't lose all of them....

Old 30th April 2011   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Nathanal6 is an unknown quantity at this point

new guy here, I have been trying to figure out what exact kind of newt these are, would anyone mine informing me, in the section here it seems like it is either one of two types, but also is it a land/water newt or more of a water newt?

Nathanal6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Caudata Culture Species Entry - Triturus marmoratus

As far as their land/water preference, the marms I have raised I have kept completely aquatic at all phases. Others raise theirs through a terrestrial phase.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Old 4th May 2011   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: Linus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by esnailme View Post
Folks.......I jumped the gun. I am going to heed the advice of Dawn. Right now the larvae are a little over 3 weeks. I guesstimate they will morph at around 5-7 weeks old. This is not far off. At which time I will be ready to unleash these precious babies to those who responded provided you are still interested.
I would advise you to get your white worm, springtails and/or fruitfly cultures set up. It took a good 4-5 weeks for my white worms to catch. My fruitflies took 10-14 days. My spring tails took a good 6 weeks. Right now I have more than enough food to feed.....I just need some hungry babies.

I do not anticipate any more than 1 death out of 25. I have one larva that I will be removing from the bunch. I don't like the way he looks. This baby will definitely NOT be one that I would consider rehoming. I did not count this larvae as part of the bunch that will be leaving the nest.

Unless it is 105 degrees in the shade or I loose my entire group due to some mishap,,,,,which I do not anticipate, I will ready to ship as soon as these babies morph and start eating for me.

Thank you for the response......Just hold on and anticipate 5-7 weeks from now.

Sound decision! I've got a tank already set up and waiting

Best of luck :]

Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: FRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and informationFRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and informationFRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and information

Hello,
Can you please save me one or two? I already have one for almost a year now, it's a male, doing great, fully terrestrial. He is a year old or so. I would love for him to have a friend or two at some point. He is now pretty much at maturity size and it looks like the way I took care of him worked well....
Thanks.
Francois

FRANCOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

I am anticipating that there will be quite a few on the market in a couple months.

Old 13th May 2011   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:

I am at capacity.

I believe all larvae have been accounted for.

The majority have grown their back limbs.

They are so so cute. :wub:

Thanks

p.s I will let all that have made request know where you are on the waiting list.
First come first serve.

Old 14th May 2011   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: FRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and informationFRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and informationFRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterwoman View Post
I am anticipating that there will be quite a few on the market in a couple months.

That's good to hear!!! I am definitely getting more this year...

Old 14th May 2011   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: methodik has given good advice and informationmethodik has given good advice and informationmethodik has given good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANCOIS View Post
That's good to hear!!! I am definitely getting more this year...

Yep, I am also really looking for this beautiful species. But otterwoman, do you only speak of the US-market or does that also count for europeans like Francois et moi?

Old 14th May 2011   #14 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

Well, since I live in the US, I'll just be selling my stuff here. And Francois lives in Texas even though he's French...so methodik, you'll have to find some on the European market...but that has been advertised here as well! Good luck, read through the old ads!

Old 15th May 2011   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:

So here is my buddy Jerome, morphed about a year ago, he wants a few friends! He is 8g and about 12 cm long!
He is doing amazingly well... eating mainly earthworms and slugs (slugs that I breed in captivity for safety).
Cheers
Francois
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 189 cropped.jpg (108.8 KB, 128 views)

Old 15th May 2011   #16 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodik View Post
Yep, I am also really looking for this beautiful species. But otterwoman, do you only speak of the US-market or does that also count for europeans like Francois et moi?
I hope you find a few Jakob, they are one of my favorites, I am partial cuz they live in France and Spain and I was lucky to see them in their natural habitat in Western France... I still remember finding some living among fire salamanders, was interesting.
Anyway, was a blessing to get one last year, Gool luck buddy!
Aufwiedersehen.
Francois

Old 15th June 2011   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hello fellow newt luvers,

At the time I made this post,

I had 25 very tiny newts.

Little did I know, larvae aren't safe in a shipping environment

I was as green as the grass and still have large patches.

I am not a guru nor am I trying to toot my own horn.

Now since I started I ran into a slight bump in the road meaning........

I no longer have the 25 that was with me originally.

Since the beginning of this post I lost 6 larvae....due to one thing or another.

This means I have 19 left.

I want to be fair to the members I have sent private messages,

However, I would like to reap the rewards of my laboring with my grandbabies.

Meaning.....

a) I cannot give ALL my grandbabies away

b) we CAN'T cut grandma's babies in half

c) not EVERYBODY on this list will receive a larvae or

d) the number MAY NOT be what you requested.

If this will be an issue please let me know.

p.s. Check out my thread "The Embryonic Development of Triturus Marmoratus" to see a recent update.

signed

Grandma

Old 1st July 2011   #18 (permalink)

Nationality:

To: All Fellow t marm lovers

Re: T Marm morphs give-a-way

After careful thought and consideration, I think it would be in my best interest to keep any and all surviving morphs.

As of today for some odd reason, I have lost 1 healthy morph and one of the 3 larvae that was mauled by one of the older siblings.

If you are still doing the Math, this is dwindling my numbers down to:

+ 7 larvae waiting to morph

+ 2 larvae that were extra tiny.
This little angels were beat up by their big brothers and big sisters.
The 2 left were just recently taken out of the Intensive Care Unit.
Now on a regular hospital floor.

+ 8 morphs as to today are in their enclosure.
So far for the most part hey are behaving themselves.
Now I do have 1 or 2 that I think will be my problem child or children.
I am keeping my eye out for trouble makers.

- 2 recent deaths

7 larvae + 2 tiny larvae + 8morphs = 17 -2 = 15

This does not leave leeway for unexpected/unexplained deaths

So I am working with 15 total which is up in the air.....not trying to wish death on any of my survivors.

I am just being realistic.

It would be very unfair to give false hope to those waiting in line.

Folks my numbers are just not hashing out.

NOW!!!!

In the event that the morphs that I have began to either:

a) get disrespectful,
b) start acting out or
c) just down right rebellious .........

GRANDMA HAS NO PROBLEM PUTTING DOWN HER FOOT.

I will tell them they got to hit the bricks and I mean it!!

At which point I will pull out my waiting list.

Thank you all interested parties for your patience.

Grandma

Old 1st July 2011   #19 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: Linus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Thanks for the update! Sorry to hear about your losses, best of luck with the rest! Please let me know if/when you plan to part with any, I've had a tank set-up and Daphnia going for about a month! :P

Be safe little Marmies! =)

Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011   #20 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

If anyone has their heart set on T. marmoratus morphs they are available in the for sale section, from the same season/layers of eggs as esnailme received.

LinkBack