The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

CB Barred Tiger Salamanders

This is a discussion on CB Barred Tiger Salamanders within the FS: USA forums, part of the For Sale, Give-Away or Trade category; I'm now in a position to offer the first captive bred Barred Tiger Salamanders in the US, ever. These are ...

FS: USA For US Caudata.org users wishing to sell/give away/trade within the US.

Like Tree24Likes
  • 18 Post By John
  • 1 Post By John

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st August 2013   #1 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Cool CB Barred Tiger Salamanders

I'm now in a position to offer the first captive bred Barred Tiger Salamanders in the US, ever. These are truly captive bred and raised by me this summer. They are from 2 sets of parents. Here are photos of 3 of the adults/parents:

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm selling 2.5 month old 5.5-7 inch metamorphs (they are less than a month out of the water). Yeah, they grow that fast. Right now their patterns are more dashes and dots than bars, but this will change within the first 2 months and the adult patterns will be some variation of the parents in the photos. These are some of the prettiest Barred Tigers you'll see, and the only CB tigers ever available in the US.

At this size they are capable of eating any food item you can throw at them, although you might want to cut nightcrawlers in 2-3 pieces to make things easier for them. I've been feeding them on waxworms. They get super tame and they are the toughest tigers I've ever encountered - they do fine in temperatures down to near freezing and up into the late 80s. I've even kept them hotter than that but only for a day or two.

As adults they will reach an average of 10-11 inches. Some are sexable right now but I can't guarantee the sex. They will reach maturity within the next 1-2 months and if fed well they will be adult size by the beginning of 2014. The adults are from Lubbock County, Texas, and were collected as larvae in 2007.

Price: Just $25 each. That's cheaper than wild caught are sold for at this size. If you buy 4 or more I'll give you a 10% discount.

Shipping: These are easy to ship but I prefer to ship on days where the temperatures are not in the 80s on both ends. I also prefer FedEx but I will consider USPS if the weather is good on both ends. PM me with a zipcode and I'll quote you some prices. I prefer payment by paypal but we can work something out if necessary. I am not interested in trading.

Thanks,

John

Added 9/1/2013:

Photo of some (mostly) 2+ week old ones that are now sold:

Some 0-1 week out of the water that are still developing patterns:

Old 30th October 2013   #2 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: CB Barred Tiger Salamanders

Sold over 100 now and I'm down to about 15 left now so if you're interested, act soon.

Old 7th November 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: majikninja is an unknown quantity at this point

how much for shipping?

majikninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Shipping in the USA is generally about $40...but as I'm in southern MN, and I know a couple other people who might be interested, we could take a single shipment if we're not too far apart. I'm in Steele County near RAD Zoo.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Minnarden has shown reliable knowledge

I'd like to buy some if you got any left. I sent a pm. Thank you: )

Minnarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013   #6 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Shipping varies by location. It typically runs $50-$90 for FedEx Priority Overnight delivery - that comes with a live arrival guarantee and morning delivery. I don't like shipping any other way, for the sake of the animals.

Old 11th November 2013   #7 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Less than 10 left now.

Old 16th November 2013   #8 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Still have about 10 left. I will wholesale them if I have any left at the end of this month, so don't wait.

Old 2nd December 2013   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: sirnewt is an unknown quantity at this point

Do u ever sell eggs. I am a science teacher and would love to show the kids the whole process. I have raised about 30 axies from eggs so I'm not a newbie. :)

sirnewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013   #10 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Axolotls can be bred at almost any time of the year and their eggs develop slowly. Barred Tigers are much harder to breed and they tend to breed in the spring and summer only (rarely in the autumn). Their eggs develop over twice as fast as axolotls, and the eggs are smaller and more fragile than axolotl eggs. So even if I wanted to sell eggs, there would be a very limited window to do so.

Old 14th January 2014   #11 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Tim Herman still is selling some of the offspring from my 2013 breeding. He has a thread here:

More CB Barred Tiger Salamanders

Old 16th January 2014   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: extremefish is an unknown quantity at this point

i live in eaton ohio 45320 I am interested in some

extremefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Rep: Socrates has shown reliable knowledgeSocrates has shown reliable knowledge

John if you have any left you have my interest.

Old 22nd May 2014   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: limnologist has started on the right path

How did you breed them?

limnologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014   #15 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Yes, he bred them.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack