The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Smooth/Palmate newts

This is a discussion on Smooth/Palmate newts within the Wanted in the European Union (including the UK) forums, part of the Species Wanted, Items Sought category; Hi I have a wildlife pond and would like to get some Smooth or Palmate newt eggs in the Spring ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th August 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: paulvanh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Smooth/Palmate newts

Hi

I have a wildlife pond and would like to get some Smooth or Palmate newt eggs in the Spring but in the meantime would like a couple of juvenile or adult newts if anybody has or knows of any that need to be rehomed.

Thanks

Paul

paulvanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2016   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Smooth/Palmate newts

You may wish to reconsider releasing cb newts into the wild. The uk and Eu hobby has bsal and bd, fungal infections which can wipe out amphibians. Very few hobbiests get their animals tested so you may inadvertently spread this problem.

Old 20th August 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Yes, Ideally eggs from the wild or garden pond is the way to go, that's how I started my colony off two years ago.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information

Smooth newts will turn up out of the blue. Palmate might not but overloads in the spring and very early summer.

Blackbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: paulvanh is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the feedback. I won't ever be releasing any captive bred newts into the wild. I was hoping to offer a home to newts from ponds that were being filled in or similar. Maybe some local newts will turn up in my pond and garden while I'm waiting for the Spring to get some eggs.

paulvanh is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack