The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

reptilesncritters.com???

This is a discussion on reptilesncritters.com??? within the Testimonials forums, part of the Advertisements for Newts & Salamanders category; I have recently just ordered a tiger salamander from reptilesncritters.com. I havent had any luck finding them in local pet ...

Testimonials The place to post info about good or bad deals with people and companies. Reading is open to anyone, including unregistered visitors - this means these pages are viewable by anyone so mind your Ps and Qs. Posting is open to Registered Caudata.org Members only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th June 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: accionoctem has started on the right path
Exclamation reptilesncritters.com???

I have recently just ordered a tiger salamander from reptilesncritters.com. I havent had any luck finding them in local pet stores so I went online to look and found this site only to buy them. So does anyone know anything about them or have ordered from them before I just want to know if they are reliable.

accionoctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008   #2 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Rep: Nathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: reptilesncritters.com???

I have seen them before but, I have never ordered anything. Their wide selection of species suggests a high rate of wild capture. I didn't order anything, as they have rather expensive prices, spending $70 for a salamander isn't quite in my price range. They do look reliable at the least. Good luck with your Tiger!

Wollemi
(Look around you)
-Australian Aboriginal saying

Nathan050793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: xMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Let us know on how this goes, I'm curious to see the condition of the tiger. I'm looking to get a terrestrial salamander myself.

Mitch

xMIDNIGHTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

She should be arriving very early Tuesday morning (overnight shipping) so I'm hoping for the best. Once I check her over and make sure she seems healthy, I'll be sure to post pictures for anyone else looking to order from them.

Old 9th June 2008   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Rep: Lasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by accionoctem View Post
I have recently just ordered a tiger salamander from reptilesncritters.com. I havent had any luck finding them in local pet stores so I went online to look and found this site only to buy them. So does anyone know anything about them or have ordered from them before I just want to know if they are reliable.
Not personaly, though I know of several people who have ordered from them. Suprisingly on the whole they were happy with their purchases(save a pair of Tylo's that died within a week).
As stated above though it would seem the majority of them are wild caught.

Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasher View Post
Not personaly, though I know of several people who have ordered from them. Suprisingly on the whole they were happy with their purchases(save a pair of Tylo's that died within a week).
As stated above though it would seem the majority of them are wild caught.
That's reassuring, thank you. For such a seemingly 'large' company I've had a great deal of trouble finding anyone else who has delt with them before. I'm curious to know what was wrong with the Tylos if you happen to know, such as if they exhibited any signs or strange behavior upon arrival. It's very disturbing to me that reptilesncritters only offers a 24 hour 'warranty' on the well being of their animals.

As for being wild caught, since I purchased a tiger sal I was expecting it to be wild caught due to the low number of actual breeders unfortunately. I was very hardpressed to find anyone selling a barred tiger so I suppose I 'jumped at the offer.'

Old 9th June 2008   #7 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Rep: Nathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Quote:
As for being wild caught, since I purchased a tiger sal I was expecting it to be wild caught due to the low number of actual breeders unfortunately. I was very hardpressed to find anyone selling a barred tiger so I suppose I 'jumped at the offer.'
Don't worry about the WC thing at all, since nobody (save for a select few cases) successfully breeds Tigers in captivity, any you get are bound to be WC. Tigers are pretty hardy so I would expect that he/she will arrive fine.

Wollemi
(Look around you)
-Australian Aboriginal saying

Nathan050793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

Well she finally came today. While I wasn't overly happy with the shipping company, she does seem to be doing alright. She is a bit smaller than I expected her to be, she's around 4-5 inches, but her weight looks very good.

She seemed fairly dry when she arrived, but after a nice swim she seemed much better. She really is more active than I expected as well, considering the stress she experienced from the transition.

She did show signs of stress, her toes were red and she was clicking quite a bit for the first hour or so. There was a bit of red around the cloaca, which I am a bit worried about as I know this can sometimes indicate illness. She also seems to be darker in color than most other barred tiger salamanders. She has very little black on her, and is mainly a deep olive green color. Is this normal or is there something that causes the color to darken?

I did try to feed her a cricket, but she showed no interest in it whatsoever. I'm assuming that is probably due to the stress at the moment.

If you're interested in seeing her, I was able to get one half way decent picture, although she did insist on burying her head in the moss
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...m/SANY0044.jpg

Old 10th June 2008   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Rep: Lasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Quote:
That's reassuring, thank you. For such a seemingly 'large' company I've had a great deal of trouble finding anyone else who has delt with them before. I'm curious to know what was wrong with the Tylos if you happen to know, such as if they exhibited any signs or strange behavior upon arrival.
I didnt ask, though they didnt look to healthy on arrival so I'd assume that was it.

Glad your happy with it, I'd be interested to see how he/she is in the long run as I've thought about ordering from there too.

Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: xMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.org

All in all, its good to see everything seems to be good. Thanks for sharing, good luck with your new tiger!

xMIDNIGHTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: Kathleen has started on the right path

I purchased a paddle tail newt from them. The only problem was that she was on a wet paper towel that was barely wet when she arrived. I immediately took her and held her in my hand gently lowering her into the aquarium to get her wet. I then talked quietly to her realizing how traumatic it must have been for her.

I did call and speak to the owner. I do not know who packs them, but he appreciated the call and notified the place where they are shipped from.

She is happy, healthy, and a great eater!

Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reptilesncritterscom

LinkBack