The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Buying axolotls in london - recommendations

This is a discussion on Buying axolotls in london - recommendations within the Testimonials forums, part of the Advertisements for Newts & Salamanders category; hey guys, ive been thinking about it for a while now but recently decided to put the cogs in motion ...

Testimonials The place to post info about good or bad deals with people and companies. Reading is open to anyone, including unregistered visitors - this means these pages are viewable by anyone so mind your Ps and Qs. Posting is open to Registered Caudata.org Members only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th January 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jimmybob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying axolotls in london - recommendations

hey guys, ive been thinking about it for a while now but recently decided to put the cogs in motion and get myself an axolotl

i'm still very much in the planning stages (busy reading everything i can find regarding these little guys) but was just wondering where the best place to buy an axolotl from is. i live in south east london but can fairly easily travel to get one from a (humane) breeder/pet shop.

should hopefully be getting a 3ft tank in the next few days but also wanted to check what make/sort of filtering system is best.

cheers for any info

James

Jimmybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009   #2 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11
Default Re: Buying axolotl's in london

Hi James,

It is certainly best to get your axolotl straight from a breeder rather than a store, if you can. There is a for sale section in this forum where you should be able to find something (click here).

The Caudata Culture page also has an article on filtering (click here).

Good luck to you!

-Eva

Albert Einstein
blueberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009   #3 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Comments: 43
Rep: gr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Hello James. I used a Fluval 2+ in my 3 foot tank. Its powerful enough without creating a current too stressful for axolotls. If you google it you will be able to find info on it, its easily available.

Old 31st January 2009   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

thanks so much guys, i obviously havnt been scanning the forums enough, should have pick up on the for sale section :P chances are i wont be getting one for another few weeks at the least anyway because i want to make sure i have everything set up properly before they arrive.
James

Old 31st January 2009   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

ment to say him/her instead of 'they' :P shant be taking on more than one to start with :)

Old 31st January 2009   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11

hahaha you say that now..... but we know better!

-Eva (from one to four aquaria in 6 months )

Albert Einstein
Old 31st January 2009   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

hehe i know what you mean, no doubt once i've got one i'll end up impulsively buying some sort of huge wall mounted habitat :P

Old 31st January 2009   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

Well, do let me say this, because I am sooch a nag: when you do get two, and you know you'll get two - so when you do get two, please do try and be sure that they are of the same sex. They breed so prolifically that the female may start looking raggedy, so you'll separate them, then you'll think they look lonely so you'll need another friend for each of them...

Albert Einstein
Old 1st February 2009   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Rep: russell has started on the right path

Wholesale aquatics in bethnal green often carries axolotols, ask for terry junior tell him that russell from aldgate sent you, you may even get discount!
I have had many axys from him in the past, very healthy!

russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

ah really, thanks! i'll have to and check it out when i get set up ^_^

Old 16th February 2009   #11 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: sherrisixxx has shown reliable knowledge

There is many shops in London that sells axies. 'Happy Fish' near Westbourbe Park had 6 healthy looking wildtypes when I visited last week. Wholesale Aquatics also has wildtypes at the mo, but they keep them on small stones,which they sometimes ingest (you can even see the small stones through their tummy). There is also a place in Kilburn Market who often has axies, and Kings Reptile World in Camden often has them too.Please only buy healthy looking ones. But check the ads on this site first. Good luck!

Oh, and I nearly forgot something very important. Please cycle your tank before bying your axie!

Last edited by sherrisixxx; 16th February 2009 at 18:28. Reason: add
sherrisixxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Harry Thompson has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately

Buy the Axolotl here:

Axolotl - Ambystoma mexicanum

Always good quality, it's from the UK.
Also, use my referral link so that I can save a bit more towards getting a tankmate for my axolotl:
http://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/referrer.php?ref=29850
Referral code is: EXP29850MG

Harry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009   #13 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 12
Comments: 4
Rep: melfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Buying axolotls in london - recommendations

Hiya, you will definately end up with more than one. I wanted one, i now have 33!! But i did it backwards and got eggs first. Probably not recommended. Lol. My oldest one was raised from an egg by me and he's only 9 months old. I have 28 larvae, coz i got some more eggs. I love raising them. But you need to have the time, knowledge and enough space! And as for gettin 2 males/2 females, unless you buy them as adults you wont actually beable to sex them until they are around a year old. So its gonna be luck really. Good luck! Mel

melfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
london

LinkBack