The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

DallasDiscus (Live Daphnia Source, USA)

This is a discussion on DallasDiscus (Live Daphnia Source, USA) within the Testimonials forums, part of the Advertisements for Newts & Salamanders category; I have done business with Mr. John Tran via his website for nearly 5 years now. He was recommended to ...

Testimonials The place to post info about good or bad deals with people and companies. Reading is open to anyone, including unregistered visitors - this means these pages are viewable by anyone so mind your Ps and Qs. Posting is open to Registered Caudata.org Members only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th February 2009   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11
Default DallasDiscus (Live Daphnia Source, USA)

I have done business with Mr. John Tran via his website for nearly 5 years now. He was recommended to me by other breeders back when I was pretending to be a full time tropical fish breeder... My original Daphnia magna starter was purchased from him, and through careful husbandry produced multiple generations over the course of 4 years. I have also had great success with both his pulex and moina cultures.

His prices are very competititive and his customer service is outstanding.

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009   #2 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: DallasDiscus (Live Daphnia Source)

I bought some of the "magna" and received them today. Very generous number considering how many were ordered. Well packed too. I'm very happy. My only comment is that I've seen a lot of different kinds of Daphnia over the years and I'm not 100% sure these are D. magna. I looked at them under a microscope today and while they look generally right, they seem a bit small compared to D. magna I've seen before. Anyone else notice this or am I just imagining it?

Dallas Discus get 10/10 from me.

Old 20th February 2009   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

In the past I too have noticed the magnas tend to be smaller from cultures purchased during the winter months. I have a large batch of each of the three on the way, I'll get my microscope off the shelf and take a close look.

Old 20th February 2009   #4 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

That shouldn't be the case, other than that there will be males in a winter culture (which are smaller than females). Daphnia magna females should all be nearing 5 mm in length (which the DD ones I've received are certainly not). Your microscope won't do you much good at conclusively identifying the species - the only way to be sure you have D. magna (other than the size) is to see the ephippium. I received D. magna (confirmed) from LFS Cultures about 9 years ago. I don't know if that company still exists or sells them any more.

Old 21st February 2009   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

I've ordered from LFS Cultures within the past year or two, and I believe they are alive and well.

Old 21st February 2009   #6 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Are their Daphnia magna nice and huge still?

Old 21st February 2009   #7 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Update: the Daphnia I received are definitely not D. magna - the ephippia are definitely not those of D. magna and are more than likely those of D. pulex. I'm going to inquire if it was just a mistake.

Old 25th February 2009   #8 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

3 days since I inquired, heard nothing...

Old 25th February 2009   #9 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

John-
Examined ephippia from the cultures I received (with some help from someone that knows what they are doing down at our local waste water treatment plant) appears there is a mix of magna and pulex in the "magna" culture I have. Other cultures appear to be correct.

Old 25th February 2009   #10 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

That could be the case for me too but I can only see ephippia from pulex.

Old 27th February 2009   #11 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

I can certainly understand how cultures grown in the same facility could become cross-contaminated. All it takes is one stray ephippium! And under certain conditions, the pulex could out-reproduce the magna in no time.

Old 1st March 2009   #12 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

He never responded to my email. If your magna cultures are over run with pulex, they are no longer magna cultures :/. I'm not worried about the identity of my culture but the fact that he never responded to my email is rather bothersome.

Old 1st March 2009   #13 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

I have to agree with you 100% John.
Frankly, I am a little disturbed by this after such a long history of excellent quality and service.

Old 22nd April 2009   #14 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

Here's a follow-up, slightly humorous. My daphnia cultures weren't doing well, so I decided to jump-start them by ordering a new culture. I ordered D. pulex from Dallas Discus.

The daphnia I have been growing for the past 4+ years are a wild-caught strain. From what I remember from past experience with pulex, mine are about the same size as D. pulex. They may, in fact, be D. pulex, I don't know.

The ones from Dallas have now had a week to grow out. Much to my surprise, there are some rather large daphnia in there, and I suspect they are D. magna. Can anyone ID them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg daph.jpg (37.4 KB, 310 views)

Old 22nd April 2009   #15 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Could be magna or pulex. The size is the give away. Over 3 mm = definitely magna.

Old 24th April 2009   #16 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

Definitely magna then, at least some of them.

Old 24th April 2009   #17 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

I too have had issues lately. I have no idea what is going on there. My most resent magna jump start culture was all magna, but this is one out of 5 cultures in the last 90 days. The rest were overrun with the other species and vice versa.

I am a bit upset about this as I have been doing business with them for five years now and this issue is a bit unnerving.

Old 30th January 2010   #18 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Exclamation Re: DallasDiscus (Live Daphnia Source)

After many years of doing business with them, I have decided to stop using Dallas Discus as a supplier.

My last few purchases were sub-par. I am not sure what is going on down there, but the quality of the cultures is a mere shadow of what they were in years past.

I will be test driving a few other suppliers this year and will report back ad nauseum to the applicable testimonial threads.

Old 23rd March 2012   #19 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 3
Rep: Linus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I ordered a culture of 1200 D. Pulex on monday morning, I sent an email asking if he could please ship that day, which was immediately responded to. I received my Daphnia right on time wednesday and 99% were alive. They are also definitely D. Pulex. Very happy with my order.

Maybe it's different staff processing the orders? I bet they'd be interested in seeing this thread..

Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012   #20 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Default Re: DallasDiscus (Live Daphnia Source, USA)

I suspect that there are seasonal variances, cross contamination and just plain old "Ooops Factors" involved. I suspect this is a side project of a larger business.

Since this thread started all those years ago, I have gotten to be such a cheapskate that I grow my own. Haven't ordered daphnia online for I don't know how long.

Tags
(live, dallasdiscus, daphnia, live, source, source)

LinkBack