The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Good Axie/Aquarium Shop in Sydney, Australia

This is a discussion on Good Axie/Aquarium Shop in Sydney, Australia within the Testimonials forums, part of the Advertisements for Newts & Salamanders category; I would like to recommend this aquarium shop in Sydney. It is along King Street, before turning off to Princes ...

Testimonials The place to post info about good or bad deals with people and companies. Reading is open to anyone, including unregistered visitors - this means these pages are viewable by anyone so mind your Ps and Qs. Posting is open to Registered Caudata.org Members only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th March 2009   #1 (permalink)
Veterinarian

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11
Default Good Axie/Aquarium Shop in Sydney, Australia

I would like to recommend this aquarium shop in Sydney. It is along King Street, before turning off to Princes Highway in the Newtown area. I have been to many aquarium and pet shops around sydney but this one is rather exceptional.

Newtown Aquarium & Pet
Address: Unit 2 612-622 King St, Newtown, NSW, 2042
Phone Number: (02) 95190941

The owners are knowledgeable about axolotl care and practise good welfare protocols. There is no gravel in the tank, axies are all plump and healthy and being fed pellets, earthworms, black and bloodworms with treats of shrimp. Tanks are not overcrowded and are maintained very well with regular water changes. I saw the owner testing water parameters on two occasions when i visited. He only houses conspecifics together (axolotls in axolotl tank without other species of tankmates).

I spoke to the owner and he restricts bringing in new axies only in cooler months, thus avoiding bringing in new animals in hot summer months, unless there is a special placement order where the customer is going to pick the animals up very soon. Here is one of the few aquarium places i have been to where there is understanding that axolotles thrive in cold waters and chillers are advocated. There is a thermometer for all the display tanks.

Prices are very reasonable and you can place an order for specific colours, sex or age. Although availability varies, you can generally get rarer colours like pure black melanoids, copper wildtypes, axanthic albinos through to common colours like leucistics, golden albinos and dark wildtypes. You can negotiate prices and owners would likely give you a discount if you are a regular customer or if you bought a lot.

The shop also stocks a wide array of aquarium products and other rare aquaria and small pets. (They have birchirs, a type of rare primitive fish) The shop also sells ONLY colourimetric solution type test kits and not a single dipstick type test kit because the owner is aware of the inaccuracy of the dipsticks.

Owners would be able to advise you well on axolotl care and provide the necessary equipment and set up items - filters, chillers, pellets etc. They would frankly tell you when to come in to get the freshest supply of blackworms for eg. rather than scam you for a quick buck.

Tags
australia, axie or aquarium, good, shop, sydney

LinkBack