The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

WARD'S Natural Science: Axolotls and more! (US)

This is a discussion on WARD'S Natural Science: Axolotls and more! (US) within the Testimonials forums, part of the Advertisements for Newts & Salamanders category; I have made two purchases of axolotls from WARD'S and I have to recommend them to you all. Great customer ...

Testimonials The place to post info about good or bad deals with people and companies. Reading is open to anyone, including unregistered visitors - this means these pages are viewable by anyone so mind your Ps and Qs. Posting is open to Registered Caudata.org Members only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th April 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: xXNetRavenXx has started on the right path
Thumbs up WARD'S Natural Science: Axolotls and more! (US)

I have made two purchases of axolotls from WARD'S and I have to recommend them to you all. Great customer service, reasonable prices + shipping next day air (Wild type Axie is $22.95 and only $8 bucks for shipping next day air) Good packaging (nice box, labeled "Live Animal" insulated with Styrofoam, Axolotl in a bag of water with air in it). Plus they throw a nice CD-ROM in with it that explains basic care.

Expect a 1 - 1 1/2 inch Axolotl, cool temp, healthy and happy.

http://wardsci.com/product.asp?pn=IG0013576

xXNetRavenXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: WARD'S Natural Science: Axoltols and more!

I'm glad to hear everything has happend accordingly. I've ordered from wards 2 times aswell and I never ordered anything agian. 1st time I ordered 2 axolotls, 2nd time I ordered daphnia. The axolotls were too thin and they were missing limbs. LIMBS THAT NEVER GREW BACK! So I know the animals were under much stress for them to not regenerate. I had them for acouple months and no growth at all. It was at this moment that I realized that axolotls don't regrow limbs all the time. A healthy axolotl that lost a limb would have regrown an arm. A long term stressed axolotl won't regenerate a limb which makes good sense to me. Then the daphnia I ordered arrived dead. Be cautious!

Neotenic_Jaymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Now that kinda makes me wonder if they use different breeders?? I just got my two axies and they arrived the same except for two things, one they are huge compared to the first one I got, and the other things is that the water they were travelled in was pretty dirty.... oh and in informative CD-ROM

Soooo... hmmmm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000770.jpg (148.7 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg P1000771.jpg (76.2 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg P1000772.jpg (55.4 KB, 310 views)

Old 28th April 2009   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Getting animals from suppliers like wards you just don't know what your going to get. The two I got back then where totally different in size and way under fed. You can't get any details about its age and what its been fed, I'd rather go to a breeder than to a classroom science supplier. Breeders can give way much more information about the animal and specialize in the animal aswell. Not to mention there's a good amount of breeders that know their stuff right here on Caudata.org, no need to go else where.

Old 29th April 2009   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Yeah lol I wish I would have thought about finding breeders on here before **Dreaming of owning a golden axie***

I just noticed both my axolotls are missing one foot.... I hope they aren't stressed from their previous environment too much to stunt their regenerative qualities...

Either way I will love my axies, they are just so awesome!! Thinking of peg leg pirate names

Old 29th April 2009   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: SUZY has shown reliable knowledge

Any problems that I've ever had we're with the postal or shipping co. NEVER with any of my caudata friends.

SUZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009   #7 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Rep: Nathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Wards seems to be really hit or miss, as seems to be the case with most of the Biological supply companies. I've ordered from Ward's twice as well. the first time, I received an A.maculatum that was in fine shape. The next time, I ordered Notos, who ended up being in pretty bad shape.

Wollemi
(Look around you)
-Australian Aboriginal saying

Nathan050793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I think alot of biological supply companies can offer some great items. Than on the other hand when it comes to their live materials and animals I'd rather pass. There are so many other options than to purchase newts/salamanders from a place like Wards. They have a great catalog that I've looked through many times but always passed through the live animals section. I know someone who ordered N. Maculosus from Wards and it arrived with parasites and later on fell to fungus. When it comes to animals that are seasonal, its allways smarter to purchase them early in the season. If not then you get the animals that have been badly maintained for an undecent amount of time. Risky business.

Old 5th June 2009   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Velaria has shown reliable knowledge

Ward's has told me that they receive ALL of their axies from the Indiana Colony. I received an albino axie from Ward's a couple of years ago (he's still alive) who arrived in terrible shape. He was missing a couple of limbs (which grew back very strangely- he has two hands on one arm) and his gill fimbraie were almost nonexistant. His fimbraie came back somewhat about a year ago, but then they disappeared again. I monitor my water conditions religiously, so I can definitively say that his lack of fimbraie has nothing to do with the level of care that I have given him. His tank has a minimal filter system, and his black melanoid tankmate has long, beautiful gills with a lot of fimbraie. Two axies living in the same tank- one has beautiful gills, and one does not. We have surmised here on the foums that my albino axie from Ward's had such a traumatic childhood that he is physically damaged for the rest of his life.

NOW, who's at fault here, Ward's or the Indiana Colony? I don't know. I don't know how long Ward's had him before they shipped him to me. He was pretty big (4.5 inches or so) when I received him, so my guess is that he was at Ward's for at least a few months before I received him. I don't think that the Indiana Colony holds onto them for too long- they send them out as babies. But I don't know for sure...

Velaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009   #10 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I don't think the Indiana Colony is at fault because they specialize in axolotls and for them to be giving out axolotls in bad shape is bad reputation. Most likely its Wards Natural Science that is at fault. I think they specialize more in business than anything else. Indiana Colony is great for axolotl research and breedings, I hear they're supplying Mexico with a lot of axolotls, to reintroduce them into the wild.

Old 5th June 2009   #11 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velaria View Post
Ward's has told me that they receive ALL of their axies from the Indiana Colony.
This info is probably out of date. The Indiana colony moved quite some time ago.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009   #12 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

The IU colony is gone at least 4 years now - I think a few more. They sent their axolotl stock to the University of Kentucky. There's little else in common between them.

Old 30th March 2010   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: warrior has shown reliable knowledge

I've ordered newts from them a few times and 1 or 2 are real thin when they arrive,but they did replace them for me free,all I did was email them the problem and they ship a replacement.I wouldn't order from them at all if I could find some in the wild.

warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: FRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and informationFRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and informationFRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: WARD'S Natural Science: Axoltols and more! (US)

Has anyone bought salamander eggs from them? Were they viable eggs? Did they ever hatch? Species?

FRANCOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: axolotlfriend is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANCOIS View Post
Has anyone bought salamander eggs from them? Were they viable eggs? Did they ever hatch? Species?
there was actually a thread discussing wards salamander eggs, i think the consensus was they aren't worth buying. but check it out:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f49-adv...s-more-us.html

axolotlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011   #16 (permalink)

Nationality:

The Salamander eggs are Spotted salamanders(Ambystoma Maculatum).I asked awhile back at the website.I never ordered any but was thinking of it.

Old 27th February 2011   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: FRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and informationFRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and informationFRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and information

Well I ordered some, will let you know how it goes.

Old 1st April 2011   #18 (permalink)

Nationality:

Francois im anxious to know.....did you recieve the salamander eggs from wards yet?How do they look and about how many did they send you?On the web site it says between 30 and 50 eggs.Please keep us informed.

Old 1st April 2011   #19 (permalink)

Nationality:

I placed an order, paid, never got a confirmation at all.... so I inquired to later get an email telling me they would not be available till late April even though it did not say so on the site.... so I just cancelled the order. I was not impressed by their customer service, to say the least!

Old 3rd April 2011   #20 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: nursemelody has started on the right path

My first shipment from Wards was incredibly healthy.. This year not as well.... I asked specifically for all females, and ended up with one male, one female, and one that died three days later..... I have been in contact with the lab, and he has been very helpful with me.. He did not GUARANTEE that he would send me all females, just that he would try to pick females for me... which seems to be the case with anyone I've dealt with.... I think with Wards you are better off ordering in late April or early May. They are not allowed to ship with ice packs until then, because they are in Ny, and have the chance of freezing to death with their temps in the post office. The lab tech told me it was a better idea to order later in the season because they would ship them with ice packs... I still have one noto they will send me to replace the dead one, and am getting two yellow spotted sallies later this month... Hopefully this will all work out.

nursemelody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axoltols, natural, science, ward

LinkBack