The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Ghann's Cricket Farm

This is a discussion on Ghann's Cricket Farm within the Testimonials forums, part of the Advertisements for Newts & Salamanders category; Ghann's Cricket Farm I took a risk here. This was a dealer I was unfamiliar with. I ordered two cups ...

Testimonials The place to post info about good or bad deals with people and companies. Reading is open to anyone, including unregistered visitors - this means these pages are viewable by anyone so mind your Ps and Qs. Posting is open to Registered Caudata.org Members only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd July 2009   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11
Exclamation Ghann's Cricket Farm

Ghann's Cricket Farm

I took a risk here. This was a dealer I was unfamiliar with.

I ordered two cups of Phoenix Worms ( I wanted to give this product a try strictly out of curiosity) after the very poor customer service I got from another major online critter food dealer.

Not only did I get what I ordered for HALF the price of all the other sites, I opted for next day air morning delivery shipping and the price was still ten dollars LOWER than the competition. My order was placed yesterday at 0900 CST and was waiting for me at the door when I got home from work at 0800 the next day. This is hands down the fastest, cheapest service I have ever used online.

I am so impressed with this company and their fast, easy online ordering, I have canceled my account with a certain other big name seller.

The Wormman has lost a customer, and Ghann's has gained for it.

I normally would not post the details but here it is for all to see:

2 cups of Phoenix Worms 5.19 USD each
Next Day Air, Morning Delivery 16.54
Total 26.92

That beats the pants off any other online live food retailer I have found yet. order from these folks, you will thank me later.
http://www.ghann.com/

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11
Default Re: Ghann's Cricket Farm

Got my cricket order today. Same cheap prices, same fast overnight service. 1000 crickets in two sizes, plus overnight shipping came to just about 36 USD.

Old 8th July 2009   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I used to get 7,000 crickets per month from Ghann's and have never gotten a bad batch, even in the winter. I also recommend them as a bulk live food source.

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009   #4 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

If you order from Ghann's please mention this site.

Old 8th August 2009   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Critter Mom has given consistently good advice and informationCritter Mom has given consistently good advice and informationCritter Mom has given consistently good advice and information

Thanks..very good to know. I am paying $15 USD per week at PetSmart for the second week in a row just mainly to feed my juvenile bearded dragon for 150 small crickets. The 3 C. Orientalis really don't eat that much! I have them eating a variety of other foods.

Between the giant mealworms for the sugar glider (and he eats 5-9 per night) and the food I feed the beardie and the newts, I am going broke here, lol. I am glad to find there is a relief! The only "cheap" pets I have to feed now are the hermit crabs. They eat a variety of flakes and salad. They all eat salad. I can't wait until I can have a garden next year!!

Old 8th August 2009   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter Mom View Post
Thanks..very good to know. I am paying $15 USD per week at PetSmart for the second week in a row just mainly to feed my juvenile bearded dragon for 150 small crickets. The 3 C. Orientalis really don't eat that much! I have them eating a variety of other foods.

Between the giant mealworms for the sugar glider (and he eats 5-9 per night) and the food I feed the beardie and the newts, I am going broke here, lol. I am glad to find there is a relief! The only "cheap" pets I have to feed now are the hermit crabs. They eat a variety of flakes and salad. They all eat salad. I can't wait until I can have a garden next year!!

The only downside to ordering bulk crickets is you need to have a "holding area" for them until your critters eat them. At the moment, at PetCo prices I would be spending close to 150 dollars a month on critter foods. Thanks to Ghanns, I barely spend a third of this.

The other trick is cricket sizes. Order some a few sizes to small! For instance, if you need many 1/4 inch crickets, order some 1/8th inch and pinheads. The little ones grow fast and will be of the size you need, by the time you run out of the proper size.

Old 8th August 2009   #7 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: madeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I have ordered the 1000 ½" cricket and 1000 medium mealworm combo for $14 and shipping was only $10.89. I took a shot with them since the company I used to order my crickets from changed their shipping rates and it would have cost me over $50 for 1000 crickets, 200 small meal worms, 50 waxworms and 100 superworms.

I was very pleased with their packaging as well, I love the boxes with the mesh sides. All my crickets looked good and for the exception of one they were all the size I wanted (unlike the other company who sent a random variety even though they advertised ½" crickets in the combo).

I highly recommended Ghann's to anyone.

Shoot for the Moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the Stars...
madeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2009   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Critter Mom has given consistently good advice and informationCritter Mom has given consistently good advice and informationCritter Mom has given consistently good advice and information

Thanks everyone! Now I don't have to worry about where to get my mealworms too! Thanks Sludgemunkey for the tips! I heard that gutloading crickets shortens their lives, but I can ask you that rather than tie this up. I don't want to mess up a good thing!

Old 9th August 2009   #9 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

I love their packaging too! I have found a multitude of uses for the cups with ventilated lids they use for the really small crickets. I have a huge stack of their screened boxes. I am not sure what I am going to use them for yet, but I am sure I will figure something out. That darned packaging is too good to throw away in my opinion.

I have exceeded my critter budget for this week and next (pictures of new acquisitions to follow in a week or so!) so I have to wait a week or two to place this month's order. It will be interesting, as I have to get pretty much a sampling of every size they have. Thankfully, I have enough to get me through untill then from my last order.

On a fun note, Check out their Testimonials page on their site...

Old 9th August 2009   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

So, what do you do with those white cups?

I try to recycle things whenever possible, and I have been at a loss on what to do with those as of late.

Old 10th August 2009   #11 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

What is your experience ordering during 95+ F weather? I need a bunch o' crickets asap but I am worried about agreeing to that waiver they have, in case a lot die.

Old 10th August 2009   #12 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: madeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
What is your experience ordering during 95+ F weather? I need a bunch o' crickets asap but I am worried about agreeing to that waiver they have, in case a lot die.
I ordered mine on the 31st of July, with 2nd day delivery and received them on wednesday Aug 5th with no problems. They were all alive and well and the mealworms had a cool pack taped to the container.

Shoot for the Moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the Stars...
madeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009   #13 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post

Got my last shipment of multiple sizes when the temps were at 95-100 daytime without issue. I always opt for the next day air, morning delivery. The small size crickets and mini chill packs. The larger sizes did not, but they were fine also.

Old 11th August 2009   #14 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Thanks Johnny.

Tags
cricket, farm, ghann

LinkBack