The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

GlassCages.com

This is a discussion on GlassCages.com within the Testimonials forums, part of the Advertisements for Newts & Salamanders category; I had a very decent experience with these guys and I would definitely recommend dealing with them - they have ...

Testimonials The place to post info about good or bad deals with people and companies. Reading is open to anyone, including unregistered visitors - this means these pages are viewable by anyone so mind your Ps and Qs. Posting is open to Registered Caudata.org Members only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th November 2009   #1 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default GlassCages.com

I had a very decent experience with these guys and I would definitely recommend dealing with them - they have some very handy "odd" sized tanks (half-highs and the like) and they also make custom aquariums. Glasscages.com - Home

Old 6th November 2009   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Greewok has given consistently good advice and informationGreewok has given consistently good advice and informationGreewok has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: GlassCages.com

They are ok for maybe some odd ball dimensions, but I would not build a newt room around their tanks. One simple fact that most people overlook is warranty. This is taken directly from their site:

"If the aquarium is defective within ninety (90) days from the date of purchase, return it to Glasscages.com LLC, along with sales receipt. Provided the aquarium has no broken or chipped glass or altered sealant, Glasscages.com LLC, will replace the aquarium at no charge, shipping not included."

90 days is nothing for a tank warranty, unless we are talking about little tanks. Not to mention you are responsible for packing it up, shipping it, and paying for return shipping. Maybe you can meet one of there trucks at a show in their delivery schedule for return, but it doesn't say.

For standard footprint glass aquariums, Aqueon/All Glass is King. They use thicker glass than most manufactures, have a great warranty, and are available almost anywhere. If for some reason you need to return a tank for warranty, all you have to do is bring it to your local shop and they will issue a return, no questions asked. A lot easier than trying ship a tank!

Aqueon/All Glass Warranty:

Aquariums - Glass 14 and Smaller 90 Days
Aquariums - Glass 15 55 5 Years
Aquariums - Glass 65 and Larger Lifetime

Just a thought to remember...

Greewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Critter Mom has given consistently good advice and informationCritter Mom has given consistently good advice and informationCritter Mom has given consistently good advice and information

Thanks for posting! Much better pricing and selection than local pet stores and national chains. The only thing that would beat this is getting something used, and I can't seem to find out if the buyer is still selling as they have not returned our call yet from the classifieds.

We will probably end up going with GlassCages.com now that you have posted this if the other does not come through. What a relief to know we won't have to spend hundreds of dollars for a quality enclosure to get what we so desperately need!

Thanks again,
Critter Mom

Old 6th November 2009   #4 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Greewok, have you actually bought anything from them? You don't really say.

I know many vendors and hobbyists use their half-height tanks for display, sales, using optimal space, etc.

Old 6th November 2009   #5 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I purchased some real nice 40 gallon breeder tanks from glasscages.com They were reasonably priced and worked great. I've heard that for some of their tanks they use thin glass but personally have had no problem. I plan to have a look at some acrylic cubes at their stand at White Plains on Nov. 29.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 14
Comments: 21
Rep: caudatadude28 has given good advice and informationcaudatadude28 has given good advice and informationcaudatadude28 has given good advice and information

How much does shipping usually run with them? What are the advantages of glass over acrylic and vise versa?

caudatadude28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009   #7 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

For a half high 29 US gallon glass tank (30" x 12" x 6") with acrylic lid the shipping cost to me was $25. Quite reasonable in my opinion. They also attend a lot of shows around the US. I like glass over acrylic for most purposes and it's much harder to scratch it. Glass also has better optical properties. However, acrylic is far lighter, and you can make shapes out of it for purposes that are much harder or impossible for glass.

Old 8th November 2009   #8 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

To add to what John stated, many acrylic enclosures will warp over time under the pressure of water/ weight of rocks. (This can take years in many cases but it does happen!). I feel glass is easier to keep sanitary also.

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2009   #9 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greewok View Post
They are ok for maybe some odd ball dimensions, but I would not build a newt room around their tanks. One simple fact that most people overlook is warranty. This is taken directly from their site:

"If the aquarium is defective within ninety (90) days from the date of purchase, return it to Glasscages.com LLC, along with sales receipt. Provided the aquarium has no broken or chipped glass or altered sealant, Glasscages.com LLC, will replace the aquarium at no charge, shipping not included."

90 days is nothing for a tank warranty, unless we are talking about little tanks. Not to mention you are responsible for packing it up, shipping it, and paying for return shipping. Maybe you can meet one of there trucks at a show in their delivery schedule for return, but it doesn't say.

For standard footprint glass aquariums, Aqueon/All Glass is King. They use thicker glass than most manufactures, have a great warranty, and are available almost anywhere. If for some reason you need to return a tank for warranty, all you have to do is bring it to your local shop and they will issue a return, no questions asked. A lot easier than trying ship a tank!

Aqueon/All Glass Warranty:

Aquariums - Glass 14 and Smaller 90 Days
Aquariums - Glass 15 55 5 Years
Aquariums - Glass 65 and Larger Lifetime

Just a thought to remember...
I cannot see a warranty on a tank as a selling point. As for Aqueon being king, I disagree. A mass produced glass tank is a mass produced glass tank.

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2009   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Greewok has given consistently good advice and informationGreewok has given consistently good advice and informationGreewok has given consistently good advice and information

Well Sludgemunkey, you do know that people buy 50 or 100 tanks at once right? If a tank warranty isn't a focal point, I don't know what is. As for the second part of your statement...

John, yes I do own one. Also, I helped a friend setup a fish room some years back. He selected Glasscages to make his tanks. We setup roughly 80, 100+ gallon tanks. Within two years, over a dozen tanks blew out or leaked. 6 years later, guess how many are up and running now? Less than half, yeah it's that bad.

Like I originally said, I would not build an entire Newt Room around their tanks. All tanks leak, doesn't matter who makes them. Stick with Aqueon, sure wish we did...

Greewok is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack