The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

California Zoological Supply???

This is a discussion on California Zoological Supply??? within the Testimonials forums, part of the Advertisements for Newts & Salamanders category; I am going to do buisness with California Zoological Supply but would like to know if it is a good ...

Testimonials The place to post info about good or bad deals with people and companies. Reading is open to anyone, including unregistered visitors - this means these pages are viewable by anyone so mind your Ps and Qs. Posting is open to Registered Caudata.org Members only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd July 2010   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 14
Comments: 21
Rep: caudatadude28 has given good advice and informationcaudatadude28 has given good advice and informationcaudatadude28 has given good advice and information
Question California Zoological Supply???

I am going to do buisness with California Zoological Supply but would like to know if it is a good source before I do so. Does anyone have experience buying or selling to them?

caudatadude28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 2
Rep: JWERNER has started on the right path
Default Re: California Zoological Supply???

What type of business are you doing? They supply lots of live stock to some big chains.

They are wholesale only. It all depends on what you are getting. I seen both good and bad come from Calzoo.

If I remember when I worked at a undisclosed shop we got a shipment of terrible looking FBN's on more than one occasion but again it all depends on what your getting.

Of course the more exotic and expensive animals ( ie. specials ) that you only need a minimum of 1 to order always look better.

Old 27th July 2010   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 14
Comments: 21
Rep: caudatadude28 has given good advice and informationcaudatadude28 has given good advice and informationcaudatadude28 has given good advice and information

I was wondering how well they take care of thier animals.

caudatadude28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 2
Rep: JWERNER has started on the right path

I assume you have a business?

Well, as I said, anything thats a bit more rare to your average pet shop came in looking great like Blood Pythons and such.

But anything thats very average like Leo Geckos and frogs and such wasnt always so hot at all. Its the things that they have tons of. They have high distributror to store turn over rates with certain animals so they tend to not get the best care.

I can vouch first hand that if you were to go into most Petcos and see some horrible looking animals 8 out of 10 times believe it or not it isnt do to the associates but in mostcases do to just bad shippments of bad quality animals ( granted it is rare to find a Petco with people that know what tehy are doing ).

Now, I have worked at plenty shops and I had worked at a larger mom and pop shop that did some bisness with them if the selections were good that week and they had specials.

It became apparent to me that they do offten save good live stock for the smaller places for some reason I can only see is biased.

Old 28th July 2010   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Mac Myers has given good advice and informationMac Myers has given good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by caudatadude28 View Post
I am going to do buisness with California Zoological Supply but would like to know if it is a good source before I do so. Does anyone have experience buying or selling to them?
I don't have any personal experience with them as I'm not a shop owner....but I have a friend who owns a herp shop locally. They are regarded as an uncaring money machine in many reptile circles. The "commodity" and "disposable" pets (Sulcatta and Tokay Geckos for instance) are treated very badly which is a shame as they are amazing animals. Hmmm... I guess I hate them.

LinkBack