The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Arizona Fairy Shrimp

This is a discussion on Arizona Fairy Shrimp within the Testimonials forums, part of the Advertisements for Newts & Salamanders category; I purchased a very small sample pack of fairy shrimp eggs from this company as part of an ongoing experiment ...

Testimonials The place to post info about good or bad deals with people and companies. Reading is open to anyone, including unregistered visitors - this means these pages are viewable by anyone so mind your Ps and Qs. Posting is open to Registered Caudata.org Members only.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SludgeMunkey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th December 2011   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11
Thumbs up Arizona Fairy Shrimp

I purchased a very small sample pack of fairy shrimp eggs from this company as part of an ongoing experiment with alternative live foods for caudates and larvae.

As a replacement for brine shrimp, I have found these live foods to be excellent. Newly hatched napuli are readily accepted by new larvae. Clear, concise instructions are included.

The advantages are as follows:

1. Easy online purchase through their site or via eBay.
2. Fast shipment year round.
3. Extremely friendly and helpful with advice.
4. Farm raised stock! (In other words, they do not harvest from the wild.)
5. All products are freshwater! No messing around with alkalinity and salinity!

They do not sell daphnia yet, but they DO sell prepackaged "food" for freshwater invertebrates that is also suitable for daphnia and brine shrimp at bargain basement prices.

I was so impressed with my initial purchase, I promptly ordered five additional samples of the other animal cysts they sell. I also purchased a bulk amount of food to rear these with.
I look forward to playing and experimenting with the clam shrimp, ostracods and other species of fairy shrimp.

One note, do NOT attempt to feed sub adult and adult fairy shrimp to larvae. Adults love them, but the adult fairy shrimp are predatory and will happily devour anything they can get their appendages on.

Unlike most live food companies, these folks encourage you to try and culture them for yourself. This alone impressed me the most.

I highly suggest you fellow brine shrimp haters buy a sample pack and try these out.

Last edited by Jennewt; 25th December 2011 at 03:38.
SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Gavin Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Arizona Fairy Shrimp

I so wish I could get them here in Canada! I have some from (Aquabid) Malaysia They grow huge but wasn't able to give them attention

Gavin

Gavin Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

I noticed I have a typo in there about wild harvesting. It should read "do not" rather than "do".

Old 23rd December 2011   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 25th December 2011   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SludgeMunkey View Post
I noticed I have a typo in there about wild harvesting. It should read "do not" rather than "do".
I fixed that.

Thanks for the recommendation, I've been meaning to try these.

Old 25th December 2011   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

They are a bit tricky at first.

I found that a pH of around 8 and four grams of aquarium salt per 4 liters of water is best for a good hatch rate.

Target water temp range should be 72-80.

And for whatever reason. I got the best results when the tank was exposed to a reptile basking bulb for 10 hours a day.

Mind you these are preliminary results, I still have weeks of experimenting to get these guys producing like I want.

You may find other methods that work better.

Note, If you do not get a good hatch out, save the water and the container. If you let it dry out completely, you can rehatch a time or two again. Not all the cysts hatch out first time around. I suspect this is a defense measure against the weather in Arizona.

Old 7th January 2012   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 7
Rep: Coastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by SludgeMunkey View Post
Note, If you do not get a good hatch out, save the water and the container. If you let it dry out completely, you can rehatch a time or two again. Not all the cysts hatch out first time around. I suspect this is a defense measure against the weather in Arizona.

What will be nice is when you get the adults to reproduce and you never have to buy eggs again. You just let the tank and sand dry out and refill it following year when you have larvae again.

Old 7th January 2012   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Rep: Lamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and information

I've been keeping an eye on this thread. I've dabbled in brine shrimp, but always manage to crash the culture when I tried to feed them yeast them to get them to grow. Is anyone feeding their fairy shrimp nauplii? If so, with what and how frequently?

Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2012   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Rep: Lamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and information

I just purchased redtail fairy shrimp eggs to use in the lab with plethodontid larvae that I'm using in a study. I'll give them a go and post how well they work!

Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 16
Comments: 3
Rep: eyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
I just purchased redtail fairy shrimp eggs to use in the lab with plethodontid larvae that I'm using in a study. I'll give them a go and post how well they work!
I also purchased redtail fairy shrimp eggs from Arizona Fairy Shrimp. I was very pleased at the hatch, and found them easy to raise outdoors in 5 gallon buckets and also in a wading pool dug into the ground. This is "pond" that I have used for seasonal cladoceran culture in northern Minnesota. The Daphnia and relatives come back each year. We will see in the Spring if the redtail fairy shrimp come back. They did mate and produce at least one new generation over last summer, so there should be plenty of eggs in the system. The pool has certainly frozen completely solid, as temperatures have dropped below -20 F.

In 5 gallon bucket shrimp cultures, I used green water a a food source for the shrimp. My borrowed microscope was not quite capable of enough resolution to be sure, but the green water culture looked like it was mainly composed of single celled flagellates, perhaps a species of Chlamydomonas.

eyrops is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack