The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Edsal "Muscle Rack"

This is a discussion on Edsal "Muscle Rack" within the Testimonials forums, part of the Advertisements for Newts & Salamanders category; I recently purchased a 5000 series Muscle Rack to use as shelving in my craft/storage/herp room from the local big-box ...

Testimonials The place to post info about good or bad deals with people and companies. Reading is open to anyone, including unregistered visitors - this means these pages are viewable by anyone so mind your Ps and Qs. Posting is open to Registered Caudata.org Members only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th January 2013   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Edsal "Muscle Rack"

I recently purchased a 5000 series Muscle Rack to use as shelving in my craft/storage/herp room from the local big-box hardware store. I liked the melamine shelving (waterproof), but I was extremely disappointed that every shelf in the package was scratched and scuffed. They weren't even minor scratches, but large gouges across the shelf, square-foot size scuffs in the middle of the shelf, and every shelf (both sides) had scuffs all along the edges. There was no 'nice side'.

While I understand these are industrial shelves, I would expect new products to come out of the package looking new, not looking like they'd already seen years of use. All the shelves bow; there's NO WAY I'd ever consider putting 1,000 lbs of weight on them, as they're rated for. I can't use them for aquariums at all, and they've been relegated to holding less important things like cardboard boxes full of craft supplies and a half-full worm bin.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Comments: 0
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Edsal "Muscle Rack"

Kaysie I experienced the same thing when I purchased my edsal shelves. I called the company to ask some questions regarding the actual strength and load bearing capacity of the unit since the shelving boards didn't look like they had a lot of integrity. I was very pleased with their customer service over the phone and after explaining my concerns and intended use (holding 55 g long tanks) they sent me shelving braces free of charge. I didn't even pay shipping. The braces did take a few weeks to arrive but they have held my tanks very safely and securely. It may very well be worth your time to call the edsal company.
heather

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: AngieD has given good advice and informationAngieD has given good advice and information
Default Re: Edsal "Muscle Rack"

Couldn't you have returned it?

LinkBack