The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Pet Stores in Whyndam

This is a discussion on Pet Stores in Whyndam within the Testimonials forums, part of the Advertisements for Newts & Salamanders category; So I've been to most pet stores in the werribee/hoppers crossing area (australia, melbourne western suburbs) and thought I'd let ...

Testimonials The place to post info about good or bad deals with people and companies. Reading is open to anyone, including unregistered visitors - this means these pages are viewable by anyone so mind your Ps and Qs. Posting is open to Registered Caudata.org Members only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st March 2013   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Quentari has started on the right path
Default Pet Stores in Whyndam

So I've been to most pet stores in the werribee/hoppers crossing area (australia, melbourne western suburbs) and thought I'd let people know of my experiences with them.

Pet Goods Direct (31/428 Old Geelong Road, Hoppers Crossing VIC 3029, (03) 8360 8995) Is where I brought my first axolotl. They keep them in a tank with gravel, but other than that they were really helpful. They gave me my axolotl in a bucket of water rather than a bag and one guy that works there most days is very knowledgeable about tanks/filters/food and if he'd sold me my axolotl I bet he wouldn't have let me buy gravel with it. Axolotl was about 10-15cm and $32.

Animal House Pet & Aquarium Supplies (6 rushford lane werribee, VIC, 3030 (03) 90710022) is where I got my melanoid. They kept them in gravel as well, and rather aggressively scooped up the axolotl with a net and plopped him into a bag (which he was too big for, he was curled up horribly). I've only seen the one axolotl there but he has lumps on his side (all I know about them is he's eating and pooping properly) and will only eat pellets and refuses live food. He was 15cm and $20

And then PETstock Hoppers Crossing (431 Old Geelong Road, Hoppers Crossing VIC 3029, (03) 9369 9955) where I got my third axolotl. This place doesn't actually keep them in stock, they are ordered in as they are requested from their suppliers, so I went in on wednesday and he was delivered the following thursday. The woman who scooped him up was very gentle, and used a wet hand + fish net to move him without hurting him. He was also put into a bag but the bag was bigger and he was smaller. This place was actually fantastic, as they order in the colour you are actually looking for, so I got my gorgeous golden albino at 10cm long. They even asked if I had a preference on gender if they only had adults available, but I asked for as young as possible. 10cm for $29.99

Quentari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Default Re: Pet Stores in Whyndam

Other places that sell axolotl are West River's Pet & Aquarium Supplies (which only rarely have axolotl and have them in a tank with big pebbles at $40 each) and there's a place down Shaft Court on Old Geelong Road that sell them but they're in terrible condition (my friend brought one from there and half it's gills had been eaten off!). The ornaments and plants they sell there are wonderful though.

Old 23rd March 2013   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Update! There's a petStock in Hoppers Crossing and in Sunshine, and out of the five axolotl's I've seen at the two shops two were very active, two had long pretty gills and all of them looked very healthy considering they are from a pet store. The people who work there also seem reasonably knowledgeable about axolotls! my friend brought one from the Sunshine store earlier today and the girl who was working there asked about whether we had a settled in tank (she still said "a few days" to cycle rather than weeks, but pet stores wouldn't make a profit on fish if people had to wait a month after deciding to get a fish before they could actually buy it lol)

Old 8th May 2013   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Not quite in whyndam but I got my most recent axolotl at the Laverton "Rubble and Riches" market. There are two "stalls" that sell them, one in an inside shed and one outside. They were all 8-11cm long with long healthy gills and not too skinny. Also were in a bare bottomed tank. Decently priced at $15 each the only downside is some of them had missing legs/toes, although this makes me think the guy bred them himself.

And they had a range of colours, Stark here had gold spots down his back and more under his belly (there was one with more gold but he was missing a leg.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0682.jpg (128.3 KB, 1351 views)

Tags
hoppers crossing, melbourne, petstore, werribee, whyndam

LinkBack