The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Underground Reptiles and Tylototriton shanjing

This is a discussion on Underground Reptiles and Tylototriton shanjing within the Testimonials forums, part of the Advertisements for Newts & Salamanders category; Underground Reptiles are currently offering T. shanjing. I purchased several and they arrived in terrible shape. I would not reccommend ...

Testimonials The place to post info about good or bad deals with people and companies. Reading is open to anyone, including unregistered visitors - this means these pages are viewable by anyone so mind your Ps and Qs. Posting is open to Registered Caudata.org Members only.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Otterwoman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th August 2014   #1 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: lchakan has started on the right path
Default Underground Reptiles and Tylototriton shanjing

Underground Reptiles are currently offering T. shanjing. I purchased several and they arrived in terrible shape. I would not reccommend purchasing any of these.

lchakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: alexps is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Underground Reptiles and Tylototriton shanjing

have you told them of the poor condition of the newts that you got?

alexps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Were these wild caught animals?

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014   #4 (permalink)
European Newt Group

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: ThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterwoman View Post
Yeah, their ads on King Snake all said 'Field Collected and Doing Great!'

Old 13th August 2014   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: lchakan has started on the right path

Yes, I believe they were wild caught. I also informed them of the poor condition of the animals (one dead on arrival, 2 more dead the next day) and they offered me credit on my next order for the 1 DOA animal. There will not be a next order for me.

lchakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 7
Rep: Coastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.org

They are wild caughts. They always need fattening. Are they eating worms for you?

Old 13th August 2014   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: adler0 has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterwoman View Post
Yes, it says they were "field collected" on the ad.

Anyways, can you (the OP) please post some pictures or go into a bit more detail? I was thinking of picking up a pair from them. I noticed one photo in the ad, it looked like one newt had the shine but it could have been wet or just a bad photo.

adler0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

We don't condone the sale of wc (wild caught) animals on this site. Most likely they were "field collected" in huge numbers, helping to decimate the site of origin, and so few make it successfully after that that it's tantamount to wholesale slaughter, as your unfortunate experience shows. If you are patient, you can eventually get tylototritons cb (captive bred), and they will be parasite free and healthy. The awful conditions wc animals suffer is a crime.
We do support field collection on your own for personal animals. Taking only a few for your own use is the best way to get wc animals.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2014   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: velasco13000 has started on the right path

Did anybody else buy any and if so how are they doing?

velasco13000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2014   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: adler0 has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by velasco13000 View Post
I was going to buy a pair with my next pay check but after talking to Leonard I am no longer going to be doing that. I hope he doesn't mind me sharing but he told me in an email that he had ordered 10. Out of the 10, one was dead on arrival, he lost two more a day after arrival, and many appear to have "the shine". He says they're all in poor health and that underground reptiles will only give him a credit for the one DOA. Sad...

adler0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2014   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: NathanKS has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by velasco13000 View Post
I bought a pair, they are not doing well.

Underground reptiles likes to stay on the gray line with wild caught animals in my experience. Other purchases from them have always arrived looking like garbage.

NathanKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I have had some problems with recent w.c. animals I purchased. Some of the animals were great and some turned out to be not so great. By getting these w.c. animals in my house I feel that I put my entire collection at risk.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014   #13 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: freves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I purchased WC T.kweichowensis from Underground years ago when they first started showing up with some regularity on the US market. If I remember correctly one or two died but the others prospered and lived for years, even breeding on three occasions. More recently, around three years ago, I handpicked a group from Underground at the Daytona expo in August. All looked plump and healthy. I took every precaution to keep them cool on the ride home as well as subsequent quarantine. Out of that group all were dead in two weeks. If sick, dehydrated, sore covered animals are shipped then that is inexcusable. If otherwise healthy looking animals are shipped then one must accept that acclimating any wc salamander is a risk.

freves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2014   #14 (permalink)
European Newt Group

Nationality:
Rep: ThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and information

Has anyone bought CB animals from them? I was thinking about a pair of marms, but I don't want to spend a lot on stuff that end up being in really bad condition. When I asked about how they were housing them they replied: "We provide them an aquatic area with spots for which they can climb out of the water if they chose."

Old 26th December 2014   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Don't give them your money Aaron, take a look at their youtube channel, if that's what they want people to see, I dread to think what happens when there's no camera running.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2014   #16 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Aaron, springs coming, you should be able to source cb phibs from private breeders soon.

Old 27th December 2014   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Comments: 4
Rep: Stupot1610 has shown reliable knowledgeStupot1610 has shown reliable knowledge

I would definitely buy some from a private breeder on here. If you're happy to wait for them to grow to adults you could even buy some eggs in the spring, they can become adults within a year. The general opinion of this company seems to be that their animals, or amphibians at least, are kept in poor condition and subsequently arrive to their new homes in poor condition. I have also seen their YouTube videos and I am not impressed either.

Stuart

Stupot1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2014   #18 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I have never dealt with this business nor have I an axe to grind with them, this link may be of interest to you Bad Guy Underground Reptiles Stay away!! - FaunaClassifieds

LinkBack